The No. 8 Ohio State Buckeyes (22-6, 13-2 Big 10) will travel to Crisler Center to take on the No. 22 Michigan Wolverines (21-7, 10-5 Big 10) in their home finale. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 132 points with Michigan opening as a 3-point favorite. Action starts at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 18, 2018.
Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Michigan Wolverines ATS Preview
In the Buckeyes last matchup, they were blown out by the Penn State Nittany Lions, 79-56. Ohio State’s Keita Bates-Diop had a good performance, contributing 10 points and five rebounds. Penn State had a free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.215). Ohio State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.0 vs. 14.3).
The Wolverines come in on a high note after defeating the Iowa Hawkeyes in their last contest, 74-59. Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman played a key role for Michigan with 18 points and seven assists. Michigan dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.7 (better than their season average of 12.8) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.2 (above their season average of 26.8). Iowa had marks of 22.2 and 18.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Michigan (41st in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 113.2) takes on the stingy defense of Ohio State (47th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 97.8).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Ohio State games have finished under 76.9 percent of the time, while 59.3 percent of games including Michigan have finished under. Both teams have superb straight up (SU) records (22-6 for Ohio State; 21-7 for Michigan), but the Wolverines have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Michigan is 16-11 ATS, while the Buckeyes are 14-12.
Abdur-Rahkman has been excellent over the last five games for Michigan, averaging 16.0 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 133 points, just under the projected point total of 134.5. The Buckeyes won 71-62, covering as 2-point favorites. Ohio State did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (22-29; 75.9 percent). Michigan, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.9 vs. 14.8). Bates-Diop was the games leading scorer with 18 points.
Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Michigan Wolverines Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Wolverines allow the 17th-fewest assists per game (10.6) while the Buckeyes rank 57th (11.8).
- Michigan allows the fifth-fewest steals per game (4.2) while Ohio State ranks 25th (5.0).
- Ohio State is 7-4 ATS on the road, while Michigan is 8-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 10 of the Wolverines 14 home games, while 8 of the Buckeyes 11 road games have gone under.
- Michigan ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (15.9) while Ohio State ranks 213th (23.4).
- The Buckeyes rank 99th in rebounds per game (36.5) while the Wolverines rank 245th (33.1).
- Ohio State ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Michigan ranks 82nd (3.1).
- Michigan is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Ohio State is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Wolverines average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, down from 10.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Buckeyes have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (6.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.8 points per game (0.7 below their season average).