Expect a defensive battle when the Syracuse Orange (12-3, 1-1 ACC) and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (11-3, 2-0 ACC) go head-to-head at Carrier Dome. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Syracuse Orange Odds Preview
The last time the Fighting Irish played, they had no trouble getting past the North Carolina State Wolfpack, 88-58. Temple Gibbs was the games leading scorer with 22 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Notre Dame dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.339 (above their season average of 0.284) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.616 (above their season average of 0.558). For those same stats, North Carolina State put up marks of 0.133 and 0.417, respectively.
The Orange are trying to rebound after their 73-67 loss to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in their last contest. With 16 points and seven rebounds, Oshae Brissett had a good outing for Syracuse. Wake Forest held the Orange to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.8 (below their season average of 39.5). Syracuse, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (18-23; 78.3 percent).
Baskets could be hard to come by in this meeting between a pair of the NCAA’s best defenses. Syracuse currently ranks 38th in defensive efficiency (93.8) and Notre Dame is 57th (95.8).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Fighting Irish won the lone game last season, 84-66. The Fighting Irish dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.3 and a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.585. The Orange put up marks of 19.4 and 0.473, respectively, for those same stats.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. Syracuse Orange ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Notre Dame, ATS Winner – Notre Dame, O/U – Over
- The Orange rank ninth in blocks per game (6.4) while the Fighting Irish rank 56th in blocks allowed per game (2.9).
- Notre Dame ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while Syracuse ranks 67th (5.9).
- Notre Dame ranks 95th in assists per game (15.1) while Syracuse ranks 215th in assists allowed per game (15.9).
- The Orange rank 18th in rebounds per game (41.0) while the Fighting Irish rank 135th (36.3).
- Notre Dame ranks 193rd in three pointers attempted per game (20.4) while Syracuse ranks 246th (18.1).
- The Orange’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.0, down from 8.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Fighting Irish have scored an average of 83.2 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.8 points per game (1.2 above their season average).