The 13th-ranked Penn State Nittany Lions (19-5, 9-4 Big 10) welcome the Northwestern Wildcats (6-17, 1-12 Big 10) to Bryce Jordan Center. The Nittany Lions are riding a seven-game winning streak, while the Wildcats have lost eight consecutive games. The game begins at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 15, 2020.
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Penn State Nittany Lions ATS Odds
In their last outing, the Nittany Lions beat the Purdue Boilermakers, 88-76, while the Wildcats lost big to the Michigan Wolverines, 79-54.
The Nittany Lions had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.648 (above their season average of 0.508) and had a free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.219). Northwestern, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (11-15; 73.3 percent). Penn State’s Mike Watkins had a good game, contributing 19 points and 10 rebounds. Meanwhile, Jared Jones was a key piece for Northwestern with 12 points.
The Nittany Lions won the only contest between these two teams last season, 59-52. Getting to the free throw line was one of Penn State’s largest advantages. They made 26 trips to the line, while Northwestern went just seven times. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Penn State should have a substantial edge. The Nittany Lions defense ranks 32nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.454), while the Northwestern offense is ranked 298th in effective field goal percentage (0.472).
Northwestern vs. Penn State Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Penn State, ATS Winner – Penn State, O/U – Under
- Penn State ranks 33rd in steals per game (8.1) while Northwestern ranks 234th (4.1).
- The Nittany Lions rank 79th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while the Wildcats rank 221st in three pointers allowed per game (23.7).
- Penn State ranks 16th in blocks per game (5.2) while Northwestern ranks 147th (2.7).
- The Nittany Lions rank 48th in assists per game (14.8) while the Wildcats rank 240th in assists allowed per game (15.7).
- Penn State ranks 37th in rebounds per game (39.0) while Northwestern ranks 218th (33.6).
- The Wildcats’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.6, up from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nittany Lions have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (0.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.2 points per game (0.4 below their season average).