The eighth-ranked Michigan State Spartans (11-2, 2-0 Big 10) and their phenomenal offense host the Northwestern Wildcats (9-4, 0-2 Big 10) and their exceptional defense. The game is scheduled to start at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Michigan State Spartans Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Spartans lost to the top-ranked Kansas Jayhawks, 92-87, while the Wildcats won big over the New Orleans Privateers, 82-52.
Northwestern played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.2 and a free throw rate of 0.350. For those same stats, New Orleans was 20.4 and 0.204, respectively. Michigan State, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.390 vs. 0.290). Michigan State received a boost from Kenny Goins, who recorded 17 points and 11 rebounds. Vic Law, meanwhile fueled Northwestern with 18 points, six rebounds and five assists.
The Spartans won the only game between these two teams last year, 65-60. Michigan State’s free throw rate was their largest strength over Northwestern. The Spartans had a rate of 0.370, while the Wildcats posted a mark of 0.161. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The Wildcats’ Law has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 0 points per game. Meanwhile, Cassius Winston has averaged 0 points during that same time frame for the Spartans.
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Michigan State (sixth in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 120.5) takes on the top-notch defense of Northwestern (29th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 91.3).
Northwestern Wildcats at Michigan State Spartans Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Northwestern, O/U – Under
- Michigan State ranks fifth in rebounds per game (44.0) while Northwestern ranks 172nd (35.2).
- The Wildcats average 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 33rd in the nation. The Spartans rank 74th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- The Wildcats rank fifth in three pointers allowed per game (17.2) while the Spartans rank 140th (22.8).
- Michigan State averages 21.3 assists per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. Northwestern ranks 68th in assists allowed per game (12.1).
- The Spartans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 25.6, up from 19.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 61.8 points per game (0.2 above their season average).