CUSA foes will clash when the UTEP Miners (5-6) meet the North Texas Mean Green (7-6) at Don Haskins Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 134 points with UTEP set as a 2-point favorite. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
North Texas Mean Green vs. UTEP Miners Free Preview
In the Mean Green’s last outing, they were beaten by the Georgetown Hoyas, 75-63. North Texas Ryan Woolridge had a good game, leading both teams in scoring with 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Georgetown’s largest advantages. They made 26 trips to the line, while North Texas went just nine times.
The Miners come in on a high note after defeating the Howard Bison in their last outing, 69-56. With 23 points on 7-for-12 shooting, Keith Frazier was the top scorer from either team. UTEP dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.281 (above their season average of 0.242) and a turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 17.8). For those same stats, Howard put up marks of 0.148 and 15.4, respectively.
It could be an error-filled game for the North Texas offense. North Texas ranks 251st in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.4 percent), while the gambling defense of UTEP forces the 87th-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.5 percent).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the projected point total. Games including North Texas have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while UTEP games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time. The Mean Green have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (7-6 vs. 5-6) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (5-2 vs. 4-3).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Miners won the lone contest played against each other last season, 77-71. The Miners dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.169 and a turnover percentage of 13.2. The Mean Green were 0.092 and 15.4, respectively, for those same stats.
North Texas Mean Green at UTEP Miners Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UTEP, ATS Winner – UTEP, O/U – Under
- The Mean Green average 23.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 110th in the NCAA. The Miners rank 201st in three pointers allowed per game (24.4).
- North Texas ranks 155th in assists per game (13.2) while UTEP ranks 228th (10.9).
- North Texas is 4-2 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- UTEP is 3-1 ATS at home with 3 unders and 1 over.
- North Texas averages 38.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 64th in the nation. UTEP ranks 231st in rebounds allowed per game (39.0).
- The Miners rank second in blocks allowed per game (1.5) while the Mean Green rank 139th (4.3).
- UTEP ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (4.5) while North Texas ranks 103rd (6.5).
- UTEP is 3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, North Texas is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Miners average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mean Green have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.2 points per game (3.6 below their season average).