The North Carolina Tar Heels (8-8, 1-4 ACC) will be at the Petersen Events Center to challenge the Pittsburgh Panthers (11-6, 2-4 ACC) in an ACC matchup. Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 18, 2020, and can be seen on ESPN.
North Carolina Tar Heels at Pittsburgh Panthers ATS Odds
Both teams lost in their last outing. The Panthers were beaten by the 11th-ranked Louisville Cardinals, 73-68, while the Tar Heels lost a close one to the Clemson Tigers, 79-76.
North Carolina did a great job of converting from the free throw line (14-20; 70.0 percent) while Pittsburgh did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (19-26; 73.1 percent). Pittsburgh was led by Justin Champagnie, who had 11 points and 11 rebounds. Meanwhile, Brandon Robinson played a pivotal role for North Carolina with 27 points.
In their first matchup this year, McGowens led the Panthers to a 73-65 victory. He was the game’s top overall scorer with 24 points. One of Pittsburgh’s biggest advantages was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 18-22 (81.8 percent), while the Tar Heels were just 10-17 (58.8 percent).
Both teams have had a couple of players step their game up over their last five games. Garrison Brooks (19 points,9.4 rebounds,1.2 steals) and Robinson (11 points,3.2 assists,1.6 steals) have been great for the Tar Heels, while Champagnie (15 points,8.6 rebounds,2.0 steals) and Trey McGowens (16 points,4.6 assists,2.4 steals) have made solid contributions to the Panthers.
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Panthers rank 47th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.6 percent), while North Carolina ranks 19th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.4 percent).
North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Pittsburgh Panthers Odds Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – North Carolina, ATS Winner – North Carolina, O/U – Under
- North Carolina ranks first in rebounds per game (43.6) while Pittsburgh ranks 170th in rebounds allowed per game (35.8).
- The Tar Heels average 4.3 blocks per game, which ranks 54th in the country. The Panthers rank 109th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- North Carolina ranks 93rd in assists per game (14.1) while Pittsburgh ranks 133rd in assists allowed per game (12.6).
- The Panthers rank 24th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Tar Heels rank 161st (7.3).
- Pittsburgh ranks 158th in three pointers allowed per game (22.5) while North Carolina ranks 246th (26.1).
- The Panthers have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Pittsburgh has defeated opponents by an average of 4.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Tar Heels have scored an average of 73.6 points per game (7.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (9.1 above their season average).