The Syracuse Orange (16-12, 9-8 ACC) wrap up their home schedule at Carrier Dome against the North Carolina Tar Heels (11-17, 4-13 ACC). The game starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020, and will air on ESPN.
North Carolina Tar Heels at Syracuse Orange ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Orange easily got past the Pittsburgh Panthers 72-49, while the Tar Heels were victorious over the North Carolina State Wolfpack 85-79.
North Carolina played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.361 (above their season average of 0.218) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 (above their season average of 35.1). North Carolina State was 0.177 and 21.9, respectively, for those same stats. The Orange, on the other hand, held the Panthers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.345 (below their season average of 0.453) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5 (below their season average of 33.1). Elijah Hughes had a good game for Syracuse with 25 points and nine rebounds. Garrison Brooks had a good outing for North Carolina, putting up 30 points and nine rebounds.
The Tar Heels won the sole game between these two teams last season, 93-85. North Carolina was effective at getting to and converting from the free throw line. The Tar Heels made 34 of their 37 free throws (91.9 percent), while the Orange were just 13-23 (56.5 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The Tar Heels’ Cole Anthony has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 19 points,6.0 rebounds,4.2 assists per game. Meanwhile, Joseph Girard III has averaged 17 points,1.4 steals during that same time frame for the Orange.
Syracuse could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. Syracuse ranks 56th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.1 percent), while North Carolina forces the 26th-fewest turnovers (16.5 percent). Moreover, the Tar Heels could control the offensive glass in this meeting as they rank 15th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 35.2 percent. The Orange, meanwhile, rank 320th at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 68.4 percent.
North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Syracuse Orange ATS Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – North Carolina, ATS Winner – North Carolina, O/U – Over
- North Carolina averages 42.4 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the country. Syracuse ranks 216th in rebounds allowed per game (36.7).
- The Orange average 4.4 blocks per game, which ranks 39th in the country. The Tar Heels rank 164th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- Syracuse ranks 67th in steals per game (7.4) while North Carolina ranks 180th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- The Orange rank 60th in three pointers attempted per game (24.8) while the Tar Heels rank 265th in three pointers allowed per game (25.1).
- North Carolina averages 14.2 assists per game, which ranks 71st in the nation. Syracuse ranks 275th in assists allowed per game (17.0).
- During their last five games, the Orange have scored an average of 73.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (5.0 above their season average).
- The Tar Heels’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 0.8 for the season.