MEAC foes will collide when the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks (6-23, 2-12 MEAC) clash with the Norfolk State Spartans (11-17, 9-4 MEAC) at William P Hytche Athletic Center. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Norfolk State Spartans at Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks ATS Preview
The last time the Spartans played, they defeated the South Carolina State Bulldogs, 76-62. With 12 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists, Norfolk State’s Steven Whitley played well. The Spartans had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 46.9 (above their season average of 32.4) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.578 (above their season average of 0.491).
The Hawks are hoping for a better outcome after their 78-69 loss to the North Carolina A&T Aggies in their last contest. With 19 points, eight rebounds and six assists, Maryland Eastern Shore’s Logan McIntosh had a solid outing. North Carolina A&T had a free throw rate of 0.278 (above their season average of 0.271). Maryland Eastern Shore, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.2 (above their season average of 27.9).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Maryland Eastern Shore. Maryland Eastern Shore ranks 244th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.5 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Norfolk State forces the 48th-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.5 percent). ,
Whitley has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Norfolk State, averaging 14.2 points, 6.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Spartans won the lone game last season, 75-69. The Spartans played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.364 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500. For those same stats, the Hawks were 0.147 and 0.434, respectively.
Norfolk State Spartans vs. Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Over
- The Spartans rank 141st in assists per game (13.7) while the Hawks rank 264th in assists allowed per game (16.9).
- Norfolk State ranks 118th in steals per game (6.3) while Maryland Eastern Shore ranks 231st (4.7).
- Norfolk State ranks 60th in rebounds per game (37.9) while Maryland Eastern Shore ranks 283rd in rebounds allowed per game (39.3).
- The Hawks average 22.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 113th in the nation. The Spartans rank 262nd in three pointers allowed per game (25.6).
- Norfolk State ranks 91st in blocks per game (3.7) while Maryland Eastern Shore ranks 226th (1.7).
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 16.8, up from 16.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 77.8 points per game (5.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.6 points per game (2.3 below their season average).