MAAC foes will battle when the Manhattan Jaspers (12-15, 7-8 MAAC) go head-to-head with the Niagara Purple Eagles (18-10, 11-4 MAAC) at Draddy Gymnasium. Manhattan opened as a 2.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 153 points. Action starts at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 18, 2018.
Niagara Purple Eagles vs. Manhattan Jaspers Odds Preview
In the Purple Eagles last contest, they won a close one over the Iona Gaels, 85-84. James Towns was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Niagara played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.203 (below their season average of 0.287) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.6 (above their season average of 31.0). Iona put up marks of 0.117 and 24.4, respectively, for those same stats.
The Jaspers are hoping for a better outcome after their 71-70 loss to the Quinnipiac Bobcats in their last outing. With 19 points and 11 rebounds, Manhattan’s Zane Waterman put together a solid game. Quinnipiac did a great job of making free throws (19-24; 79.2 percent). Manhattan, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (16.5 vs. 17.9).
This game should be a showdown of opposite paces. Niagara likes to play up-tempo (22nd in possessions per game), while Manhattan likes to grind-it-out (291st in possessions per game).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games including Niagara have finished over 70.8 percent of the time, while 68.0 percent of Manhattan games have finished under. The Purple Eagles have the better straight up (SU) record (18-10 vs. 12-15), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Niagara is 15-9 ATS, while Manhattan is 14-11 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 135 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 152.5. The Purple Eagles won 72-63, covering as 4-point favorites. The Purple Eagles played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.4 and an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.396. The Jaspers had marks of 21.1 and 0.271, respectively, for those same stats. Pauly Paulicap had a standout performance in the game, putting up 18 points and nine rebounds.
Niagara Purple Eagles vs. Manhattan Jaspers Free Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Niagara, ATS Winner – Niagara, O/U – Over
- The Jaspers rank sixth in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Purple Eagles rank 133rd (3.6).
- Manhattan ranks 131st in assists per game (14.0) while Niagara ranks 253rd in assists allowed per game (16.3).
- On the road, Niagara is 9-4 ATS with 10 overs and 3 unders.
- Manhattan is 4-3 ATS at home with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- Niagara ranks 32nd in rebounds per game (39.0) while Manhattan ranks 261st (32.4).
- The Purple Eagles rank 13th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while the Jaspers rank 208th (7.9).
- Manhattan ranks 32nd in three pointers allowed per game (19.1) while Niagara ranks 200th (23.1).
- Manhattan is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Niagara is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Jaspers have outscored opponents by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Manhattan has been defeated by an average of 0.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Purple Eagles have scored an average of 84.6 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.4 points per game (5.3 below their season average).