Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad, and the New York Rangers will do battle against Sean Couturier, Travis Konecny, and the Philadelphia Flyers at the Wells Fargo Center in a divisional tilt. NBC Sports Philadelphia will air the matchup, which gets going at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, February 28.
New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers Odds
New York (+145) is entering this one as the underdog to Philadelphia (-165) and oddsmakers have put the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals (-120 for the over, +100 for the under).
Philadelphia is 36-27 straight up (SU) and has netted 8.4 units for moneyline bettors this year. That winning percentage, the third-best in the Metropolitan Division in this young season, is a welcome improvement over the 37-45 record from the 2018-19 season campaign. Through 63 regular season contests, 33 of its games have gone over the total, while 28 have gone under and just two have pushed. The team’s 22-9 SU at home this season.
The Flyers have converted on 20.4 percent of their power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is rated ninth overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 82.0 percent of all penalties.
Averaging 22.7 saves per game with a .909 save percentage, Carter Hart (20-18-3) has been the most dependable goalkeeper for Philadelphia this season. If Philadelphia chooses to give him a rest, however, the team might turn to Brian Elliott (15-15-15 record, .899 save percentage, 2.90 goals against average).
New York has earned moneyline bettors 13.7 units this season and is currently 35-28 straight up (SU). A total of 31 of its matches have gone under the total, while 29 have gone over and just two have pushed. The Rangers are 18-13 SU as the road team this season.
The Rangers have converted on 23.0 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s good enough for seventh-best in the league. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 18th overall and it’s successfully defended 79.7 percent of all penalties.
Alexandar Georgiev (28.6 saves per game) has been the main option in goal for New York. Georgiev owns a 16-14-1 record, while registering a .914 save percentage and 2.94 goals against average this year.
New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers Betting Predictions
NHL Tip: SU Winner – Rangers, O/U – Under
- Nine of Philadelphia’s last ten contests have been decided by two or more goals. The team is 6-3 overall in those games.
- The Rangers are 12-10 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 17-13 in games where they serve fewer than 10 penalty minutes, in total.
- Philadelphia is 5-5 in games decided by a shootout this season while New York is 1-2 in shootouts.
- For both of these teams, the total has gone over in three of their past five matches.
- New York is ranked 31st this season with 12.6 giveaways per game. That figure has trended lower lately, however, as the team’s averaged 10.7 giveaways over its last 10 games and 10.8 giveaways over its last five.
- Philadelphia is ranked 15th this season with 9.6 giveaways per game. That figure has trended down, however, as it’s averaged 7.9 giveaways over its last 10 games and 7.4 giveaways over its last five.