In a game between two squads currently on losing streaks, the New York Rangers and the Montreal Canadiens meet at Bell Centre for an Original Six tilt. The opening face-off is at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 22, and it is being shown live on Reseau Des Sports.
New York Rangers vs. Montreal Canadiens Odds
New York is 27-33 straight up (SU) and has lost 7.5 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 60 regular season contests, 33 of its games have gone over the total, while 25 have gone under and just two have pushed. This 2017-18 Rangers team is 9-19 SU on the road.
New York has converted on 20.8 percent of its power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. Its penalty kill is ranked eighth overall, and it has successfully killed off 82.4 percent of all penalties.
The Broadway Blueshirts, as a collective unit, have been penalized 3.6 times per game this season, 3.0 per game over its last five outings total, and 3.2 per game over its last five road outings. The team’s had to stave off opponent power plays just 8.4 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Sporting a .914 save percentage and 28.3 saves per game, Henrik Lundqvist (23-29-4) has been the top option in goal for New York this year. If head coach Alain Vigneault chooses to rest him, however, the team could go with Ondrej Pavelec (5-11-1 record, .910 save percentage, 3.01 goals against average).
Mats Zuccarello and J.T. Miller will both lead the way for the visiting Rangers. Zuccarello (43 points) has tallied 10 goals and 33 assists, and has recorded two or more points seven times. Miller has 12 goals and 26 assists to his credit (and has logged a point in 27 games).
On the other side of the ice, Montreal is 22-37 straight up (SU) and has lost 18.7 units for moneyline bettors this year. 32 of its outings have gone under the total, while 25 have gone over and just two have pushed. This year, the team is 14-16 SU at home.
The Canadiens have converted on 21.6 percent of their power play chances this season, a mark that places it in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 27th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 77.2 percent of all penalties.
Canadiens skaters have been sent to the penalty box 3.7 times per game in total this season, and 3.0 per game over their last five games. The team’s been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 6.7 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Carey Price (27.3 saves per game) has been the top choice in goal for the Canadiens. Price has 15 wins, 28 losses, and six OT losses to his credit and has maintained a fairly-weak .904 save percentage and 2.98 goals against average this season.
The Habs will be led on offense by Brendan Gallagher (21 goals, 14 assists) and Max Pacioretty (16 goals, 19 assists).
New York Rangers vs. Montreal Canadiens Betting Predictions
Free Pick: SU Winner – Canadiens, O/U – Under
- Eight of Montreal’s last ten outings have been decided by two or more goals, and the team is 2-6 overall in those games.
- New York has allowed 3.2 goals per game overall this season, but is allowing 4.8 goals per contest over its four-game losing streak.
- The Canadiens are 8-12 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 16-27 when they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes.
- Montreal is 2-3 in games decided by a shootout this season while New York is 3-4 in shootouts.
- The total has gone under in three of Montreal’s last five games.
- Montreal has given up 4.0 goals per game (while managing just 2.0 per contest) over its six-game losing streak.
- Montreal is ranked 30th this season with 12.7 giveaways per game. That figure has improved, however, as the team’s averaged 9.7 giveaways over its last 10 games and 9.2 giveaways over its last five.
- New York is ranked 32nd this season with 12.8 giveaways per game. That figure has trended down, however, as the team’s averaged 11.3 giveaways over its last 10 games and 10.6 giveaways over its last five.
- The Canadiens this season have registered the third-most hits in the NHL (25.6 per game), but the club has averaged 28.8 over their past five games as the home team.