Two clubs that split their season series (one win apiece) last year, the New York Rangers and the Chicago Blackhawks meet at the United Center for an Original Six tilt. NBC Sports Network will showcase the game, and the opening face-off is at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 15.
New York Rangers at Chicago Blackhawks Odds
Chicago enters the game as the favorite with a -130 moneyline. The line for New York sits at +110, and the oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at an even 6 goals. The line for betting the total stands at -120 under, +100 over.
New York is 9-9 straight up (SU) and has lost 2.3 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 18 regular season matches, 11 of its games have gone over the total, while six have gone under and just one has pushed. This 2017-18 Rangers team is 2-3 SU on the road.
New York currently has the third-best power-play unit in the NHL, as it’s converted on 25.8 percent of its extra-man advantages this year. Its penalty kill is ranked 15th out of 31 teams, and it has successfully killed off 81.4 percent of all penalties.
For the team as a whole, the Broadway Blueshirts have been called for penalties just 3.8 times per game overall this season, and 2.8 per game over its last five games. The team’s had to kill penalties just 8.1 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
With a .905 save percentage and 26.7 saves per game, Henrik Lundqvist (8-7-2) has been the top option in goal for New York this year. If New York chooses to rest him, however, they may go with Ondrej Pavelec (1-3 record, .887 save percentage, 3.64 goals against average).
Mika Zibanejad and Kevin Shattenkirk will both lead the way for the visiting Rangers. Zibanejad (18 points) has tallied eight goals and 10 assists, and has recorded two or more points four times. Shattenkirk has five goals and 12 assists to his creditand has logged a point in 12 games.
Chicago is 8-10 straight up (SU) and has lost 4.7 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 18 regular season matches, nine of its games have gone over the total, while eight have gone under and just one has pushed. This season, the team is 4-5 SU as the home team.
The Blackhawks have converted on just 14.5 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that places them in the bottom 5 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 12th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 82.4 percent of all opponent power plays.
Chicago skaters have been called for penalties 4.3 times per game in total this season, and 3.0 per game over their past five games. The team’s been forced to defend opponent power plays just 8.7 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Corey Crawford (28.3 saves per game) has been the top option in goal for the Blackhawks. Crawford has seven wins and eight losses to his name and has maintained a 2.21 goals against average and a .932 save percentage this year.
Patrick Kane (six goals, 11 assists) will pace the offensive counter for the Blackhawks.
New York Rangers at Chicago Blackhawks Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Blackhawks, O/U – Over
- Eight of Chicago’s last ten outings have been decided by two or more goals. The club is 3-5 overall in those games.
- New York has allowed just 4.3 goals per game (while scoring 2.7 per contest) over the team’s six-game winning streak.
- The Rangers are 2-4 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Blackhawks are 2-1 SU in games where they serve more minutes than their opponent.
- The total has gone under in three of Chicago’s last five games.
- Chicago has averaged 9.8 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 8.8 giveaways per game (ranked 12th in the NHL).
- New York skaters have averaged 10.0 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 15.7 giveaways per game (ranked 32nd).