The Minnesota Timberwolves (27-16) will try to lengthen a six-game home winning streak when they clash against the New York Knicks (19-22) at Target Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Odds Preview
The Knicks lost a tough one against the Chicago Bulls in their last outing, 122-119. With 26 points on 10-for-22 shooting, Michael Beasley led New York in scoring. Chicago did an excellent job of making free throws (17-20; 85.0 percent). New York, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (22.4 vs. 20.0).
In the Timberwolves last game, they topped the Oklahoma City Thunder, 104-88. Minnesota rallied around Jimmy Butler, who was the teams leading scorer with 26 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Minnesota dominated every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.2 (worse than their season average of 11.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.531 (above their season average of 0.522). For those same stats, Oklahoma City had marks of 17.5 and 0.443, respectively.
Minnesota could put on a ball-control clinic in this contest. Minnesota ranks second in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.6 percent), while New York forces the ninth-fewest turnovers (13.6 percent). Additionally, the Knicks, who rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (25.5 percent), will try to take advantage of the Timberwolves, who rank 23rd in defensive rebounding percentage (76.5 percent).
Of New York’s 41 games, 21 have finished under the projected point total, while 21 of Minnesota’s 43 games have finished over the O/U total. The Timberwolves have the better straight up (SU) record (27-16 vs. 19-22), but the Knicks hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (22-19 vs. 20-21-2).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Knicks won both meetings last season. In the most recent contest, New York won 118-114. New York did a great job of getting and making free throws (24-30; 80.0 percent). Minnesota, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (28.9 vs. 26.8).
New York Knicks at Minnesota Timberwolves ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Under
- The Timberwolves average 14.1 second chance points per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Knicks rank 18th in second chance points allowed per game (12.9).
- New York averages 22.5 assists per game, which ranks 17th in the league. Minnesota ranks 21st in assists allowed per game (23.8).
- Minnesota ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.2) while New York ranks 29th (31.4).
- New York is 7-11 ATS on the road with 9 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- Minnesota is 9-12-1 ATS at home with 11 unders, 10 overs and 1 push.
- Minnesota is 14-4 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while New York is 9-1.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Knicks are 18-11 and the Timberwolves are 25-8.
- The Timberwolves rank 19th in fast break points per game (10.0) while the Knicks rank 29th (6.6).
- Minnesota ranks third in steals per game (9.0) while New York ranks 24th (7.0).
- The Timberwolves average 18.7 points off turnovers per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Knicks rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- The Timberwolves are second in the league with 41.2 rebounds allowed per game while the Knicks are fifth with 41.5 rebounds allowed per game.
- New York ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (40.4) while Minnesota ranks 16th (45.2).
- Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Timberwolves average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 103.2 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (4.9 above their season average).