The Los Angeles Lakers (29-7) and the New York Knicks (10-26) clash at Staples Center. The Lakers are a 14-point favorite and look to prolong their five-game winning streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 220.5 points and it will air on NBATV at 10:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.
New York Knicks at Los Angeles Lakers ATS Odds
Although the Knicks were defeated by the Los Angeles Clippers in their last outing, 135-132, they were able to cover as 10-point underdogs. The Knicks, on the other hand, topped the Detroit Pistons,106-99, but failed to cover as 14.5-point favorites. The New York game finished 47 points over the projected point total of 220, while the Los Angeles game finished 14.5 points under the projected point total of 219.5.
Los Angeles dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.9 (below their season average of 24.3) and a turnover percentage of 11.3 (better than their season average of 12.9). For those same stats, Detroit was 13.3 and 14.6, respectively. New York, meanwhile, forced Los Angeles into a turnover percentage of 16.3 (above their season average of 12.8). LeBron James played a massive role in the victory for Los Angeles with 21 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists to notch his eighth triple-double this year. Marcus Morris Sr., meanwhile had a solid performance for New York, recording 38 points and five rebounds.
The Knicks dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the last matchup, New York won 124-123. New York made good use of their 29 trips to the charity stripe, converting on 24 of them (82.8 percent). Los Angeles, on the other hand, was 22-28 (78.6 percent). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Vegas is known to set the total high when the Knicks are involved, as 58.3 percent of their contests have gone under the total. New York heads into the contest with records of 10-26 straight up (SU) and 18-17-1 against the spread (ATS).
Games featuring the Lakers also have typically finished under the total (58.3 percent). Additionally, Los Angeles is 29-7 SU and 18-17-1 ATS.
Los Angeles could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their high-octane offense goes up against one of the NBA’s worst defenses. The Lakers rank fourth in offensive efficiency, while New York ranks 26th in defensive efficiency.
Knicks vs. Lakers Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank third in second chance points allowed per game (11.9) while the Knicks rank 16th (13.3).
- Los Angeles ranks second in points in the paint per game (53.4) while New York ranks 27th (43.9).
- The Knicks rank third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Lakers rank 23rd (8.2).
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while New York ranks 21st (46.3).
- Los Angeles ranks 11th in three pointers allowed per game (32.9) while New York ranks 26th (35.1).
- The Lakers rank second in fast break points per game (17.7) while the Knicks rank 27th (10.2).
- The Lakers rank first in blocks per game (7.4) while the Knicks rank 18th (4.8).
- Los Angeles averages 18.1 points off turnovers per game, which ranks eighth in the league. New York ranks 14th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.0).
- Los Angeles ranks fifth in assists per game (26.1) while New York ranks 29th (21.1).
- In games where they allow below 100 points, New York is 3-1 and Los Angeles is 12-0.
- When reaching 100 points, the Knicks are 9-17 and the Lakers are 25-7.
- New York is 11-8 ATS on the road, while Los Angeles is 9-8-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Lakers’ 18 home games, while 10 of the Knicks’ 19 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, New York and Los Angeles have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Knicks are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Lakers are 2-2-1.
- The Knicks have outscored opponents by an average of 6.4 points in their last five games. For the season, New York has lost by an average of 7.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 116.4 points per game (3.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.8 points per game (1.4 above their season average).