The Los Angeles Clippers (32-28) will be at home in Staples Center when they meet the New York Knicks (24-38). Los Angeles is a 9.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 228 points. Action starts at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, March 2, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
New York Knicks vs. Los Angeles Clippers Odds Preview
The Knicks lost to the Golden State Warriors in their last matchup, 125-111. With 20 points on 8-for-15 shooting, Emmanuel Mudiay was New York’s leading scorer. Golden State did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (22-26; 84.6 percent). New York, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (22.2 vs. 21.6).
The last time the Clippers played, they were topped by the Houston Rockets, 105-92. With 22 points, Montrezl Harrell had a solid game for Los Angeles. Houston won the rebounding battle. The Rockets had 10 offensive rebounds and 41 total rebounds, while the Clippers had four and 39, respectively.
The aggressive Los Angeles offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Clippers rank fourth in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.225, while New York ranks 22nd in FTA rate allowed (0.202). Moreover, the Knicks, who rank fifth in offensive rebounding percentage (24.6 percent), will try to take advantage of the Clippers, who rank 27th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.1 percent).
Of New York’s 62 games, 32 have finished over the projected point total, while 31 of Los Angeles’ 60 games have finished over the O/U total. The Clippers come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 32-28 SU and 34-25-1 ATS, while the Knicks are 24-38 SU and 29-33 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 192 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 208. The Knicks won 107-85, covering as 1.5-point underdogs. The Knicks dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.0 and a great free throw rate of 0.296. For those same stats, the Clippers were 21.3 and 0.188, respectively. Enes Kanter put up a double-double in the victory with 12 points and 16 rebounds.
New York Knicks at Los Angeles Clippers Free Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Clippers rank 16th in steals per game (7.8) while the Knicks rank 29th (6.8).
- New York averages 22.9 assists per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 21st in assists allowed per game (23.9).
- Los Angeles ranks 17th in three pointers attempted per game (28.5) while New York ranks last (22.3).
- New York averages 46.6 points in the paint per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 12th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.3).
- New York is 13-19 ATS on the road with 17 overs, 14 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Los Angeles is 14-15 ATS with 15 overs, 13 unders and 1 push.
- When allowing below 100 points, Los Angeles is 11-2 and New York is 11-3.
- The Clippers are 30-18 when they reach the century mark, while the Knicks are 23-20.
- The Knicks rank 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while the Clippers rank 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- Los Angeles ranks ninth in fast break points per game (13.3) while New York ranks 28th (7.6).
- The Knicks average 13.7 second chance points per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. The Clippers rank 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- The Clippers average 16.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 17th in the NBA. The Knicks rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.7).
- New York averages 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks fifth in the league. Los Angeles ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New York is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Clippers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 109.6 points per game (5.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 117.0 points per game (10.2 above their season average).