The Dallas Mavericks (5-2) welcome the New York Knicks (1-7) to American Airlines Center. The Knicks are 11-point underdogs and can snap a five-game road losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 217 points and it can be seen on MSG Network at 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 8, 2019.
New York Knicks at Dallas Mavericks Betting Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last outing. The Mavericks (7-point favorites) defeated the Orlando Magic, 107-106, while the Knicks (3.5-point underdogs) fell to the Detroit Pistons, 122-102. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Dallas game finished 5.5 points over the projected point total of 207.5, while the New York game finished 18.5 points over the projected point total of 205.5.
Dallas played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.9 (worse than their season average of 12.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.1 (above their season average of 24.2). For those same stats, Orlando put up marks of 16.3 and 24.4, respectively. New York, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.7 vs. 15.2). Luka Doncic had a solid performance for Dallas, contributing 27 points, seven rebounds and seven assists. RJ Barrett fueled New York with 15 points, eight assists and six rebounds.
This was a highly contested series last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the last matchup, the Mavericks won 114-90. Dallas had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (19.4 vs. 10.6). New York, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (20-28; 71.4 percent).
Games featuring the Knicks have typically finished under the O/U total (75.0 percent). New York holds records of 1-7 straight up (SU) and 4-4 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to New York, Mavericks games tend to go over the projected point total (71.4 percent). Dallas is 5-2 SU, but they have trouble covering the spread (3-4 ATS).
The aggressive Dallas offense seems poised to dominate from the free throw line. Since the 2018-19 season, the Mavericks rank fifth in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.217, while New York has been among the NBA’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 20th-ranked FTA rate of 0.206).
New York Knicks vs. Dallas Mavericks ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- The Mavericks rank 17th in second chance points per game (13.1) while the Knicks rank 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- New York ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (12.1) while Dallas ranks last (16.7).
- The Knicks rank 13th in blocks per game (5.1) while the Mavericks rank 27th (4.3).
- Dallas ranks 22nd in assists per game (23.5) while New York ranks last (20.0).
- Dallas ranks 23rd in points in the paint per game (44.7) while New York ranks 26th (43.8).
- The Mavericks rank third in three pointers attempted per game (36.8) while the Knicks rank 25th (29.5).
- The Knicks rank 24th in steals per game (6.9) while the Mavericks rank 29th (6.4).
- New York ranks 26th in points off turnovers per game (15.0) while Dallas ranks 28th (14.6).
- Dallas ranks 12th in rebounds allowed per game (44.9) while New York ranks 29th (47.4).
- When allowing below 100 points, New York is 5-2 and Dallas is 11-4.
- The Knicks are 17-41 when they score more than 100 points, while the Mavericks are 37-39.