The Utah Jazz (24-12) and the New York Knicks (10-27) clash at Vivint Smart Home Arena. The Jazz look to lengthen their six-game winning streak. The game is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
New York Knicks at Utah Jazz ATS Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last outing. The Jazz (4-point favorites) defeated the New Orleans Pelicans, 128-126, while the Knicks (10-point underdogs) fell to the Los Angeles Lakers, 117-87. The Utah game finished 32.5 points over the projected point total of 221.5, while the New York game went 16 points under the projected point total of 220.
Utah’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over New Orleans. The Jazz had a rate of 0.600 (above their season average of 0.538), while the Pelicans posted a mark of 0.548. New York, on the other hand, held Los Angeles to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.2 (below their season average of 24.2). Utah’s Bojan Bogdanovic had a good outing, recording 35 points. Meanwhile, New York was lifted by Julius Randle, who recorded 15 points and 10 rebounds.
The Jazz dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the most recent contest, Utah won 137-116. Utah made good use of their 25 trips to the free throw line, making 21 of them (84.0 percent). New York, meanwhile, was just 13-21 (61.9 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Of the Knicks’ 36 games with betting action, 21 have finished under the total. New York holds records of 10-27 straight up (SU) and 18-17-1 against the spread (ATS).
Coinciding with New York, a little over half of Jazz games have finished under the projected point total. Utah has a respectable 24-12 SU record, but they are just 16-18-2 ATS.
The Knicks’ Randle has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 23 points,11.6 rebounds,3.6 assists per game. Meanwhile, Joe Ingles has averaged 14 points,6.4 assists during that same time frame for the Jazz.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Utah should have a noteworthy advantage. The Jazz defense ranks fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.500), while the New York offense is ranked 28th in effective field goal percentage (0.493). Additionally, the Knicks are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive backboards, ranking second in offensive rebounding percentage (24.9 percent). The Jazz, however, rank fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.2 percent).
New York Knicks at Utah Jazz ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank 14th in rebounds per game (45.6) while the Knicks rank 20th in rebounds allowed per game (46.3).
- New York ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.7) while Utah ranks last (10.6).
- The Jazz rank first in assists allowed per game (20.5) while the Knicks rank 13th (23.9).
- New York ranks 18th in blocks per game (4.8) while Utah ranks 28th (4.1).
- New York ranks 18th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while Utah ranks 25th (14.6).
- The Jazz rank fifth in three pointers allowed per game (31.8) while the Knicks rank 26th (35.1).
- The Jazz rank 20th in points in the paint per game (46.2) while the Knicks rank 27th (43.8).
- Utah is 27th in the NBA with 10.7 fast break points per game while New York is 29th with 10.3 fast break points per game.
- New York ranks 13th in steals per game (7.7) while Utah ranks 29th (5.8).
- Utah is 9-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while New York is 3-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Jazz are 23-7 and the Knicks are 9-17.
- New York is 11-8 ATS on the road, while Utah is 7-8-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 9 of the Jazz’s 16 home games, while 10 of the Knicks’ 19 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, New York and Utah are both 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Knicks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.0, down from 7.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 112.6 points per game (4.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 101.6 points per game (4.3 below their season average).