Mathew Barzal, Anders Lee, and the New York Islanders will do battle against Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, and the Chicago Blackhawks at the United Center in an East-West showdown. The action gets going at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 22, and it will be televised live on WGN Channel 9.
New York Islanders at Chicago Blackhawks Odds
New York (-140) is currently favored over Chicago (+120), and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 7 goals (-120 for the under, +100 for the over).
New York is 29-19 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 16.8 units this season. Through 48 regular season outings, 29 of its games have gone under the total, while 16 have gone over and just three have pushed. As a road team this season, the Isles are 15-9 SU.
New York has converted on just 16.9 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a mark that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. Its penalty kill is ranked 20th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 79.0 percent of all penalties..
Averaging 25.6 saves per game with a .930 save percentage, Robin Lehner (15-11-3) has been the primary option in goal for New York this season. If New York decides to rest him, however, the team might turn to Thomas Greiss (17-9-1), who has a .920 save percentage and 2.50 goals against average this year.
Chicago is 17-33 straight up (SU) and has lost 11.4 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 30 of its contests have gone over the total, while 17 have gone under and just three have pushed. This season, the team is 9-16 SU as the home team.
The Blackhawks have converted on just 19.1 percent of their power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 31st overall, and it’s successfully killed off 73.6 percent of all penalties.
Corey Crawford has stopped 28.3 shots per game as the top selection in the crease for the Blackhawks. Crawford has six wins, 17 losses, and two OT losses to his credit and has recorded a pedestrian 3.28 goals against average and a poor .902 save percentage this season.
New York Islanders vs. Chicago Blackhawks Betting Predictions
Free NHL Pick: SU Winner – Islanders, O/U – Over
- The Islanders (2-3 in shootouts this season) has more experience in games decided by shootout. The Blackhawks fell short in its only shootout this season.
- For both of these clubs, the over has hit in each of their past five outings.
- New York has managed 24.0 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while Chicago is averaging 31.0 shots per game over its last five home outings.
- Four of New York’s last ten games have been decided by two goals or more. The team is 4-0 in those games.
- New York skaters have dished out the eighth-most hits in the league (24.3 per game).