A five-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Portland Trail Blazers (25-31), who will be 3-point underdogs when they challenge the New Orleans Pelicans (23-32) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 235.5 points and it can be seen on ESPN at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, February 21, 2020.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Portland Trail Blazers Betting Odds
Both teams lost in their last outing. The Pelicans (3.5-point favorites) were defeated by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 123-118, while the Trail Blazers (3.5-point underdogs) fell to the Memphis Grizzlies, 111-104. The New Orleans game went 7.5 points over the projected point total of 233.5, while the Portland game went 19.5 points under the projected point total of 234.5.
New Orleans held Oklahoma City to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.6 (below their season average of 19.6) while Portland did a great job of converting from the free throw line (19-24; 79.2 percent). Portland received a boost from Damian Lillard, who finished with 20 points, 10 assists and five rebounds. Meanwhile, Zion Williamson had a good game for New Orleans, contributing 32 points and six rebounds.
In their three contests this season, the Pelicans have won all three. In their most recent game, the two teams combined to put up 255 points, well over the projected point total of 240. New Orleans won 138-117, covering as a 3-point favorite. The Pelicans’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Trail Blazers. New Orleans had a rate of 33.3, while Portland posted a mark of 25.0. Williamson was the game’s top overall scorer with 31 points.
Oddsmakers are known to set the total low when the Pelicans are involved, as 32 of their 55 contests have finished over the projected point total. New Orleans holds records of 23-32 straight up (SU) and 26-25-4 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Trail Blazers’ 56 games, 30 have finished over the total. Moreover, Portland owns records of 25-31 SU and 23-31-2 ATS.
Portland should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Portland ranks third in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.1 percent), while New Orleans forces the sixth-fewest turnovers (12.8 percent).
New Orleans Pelicans at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank 14th in points in the paint per game (48.2) while the Trail Blazers rank 28th (44.0).
- Portland ranks second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.1) while New Orleans ranks 28th (19.2).
- The Pelicans average 46.6 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the league. The Trail Blazers rank 28th in rebounds allowed per game (48.1).
- New Orleans ranks seventh in second chance points per game (14.1) while Portland ranks 28th in second chance points allowed per game (15.8).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (38.1) while Portland ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (35.0).
- The Pelicans rank fifth in assists per game (26.3) while the Trail Blazers rank last (20.0).
- The Pelicans rank fifth in fast break points per game (16.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 24th in fast break points allowed per game (14.8).
- New Orleans averages 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. Portland ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Portland ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while New Orleans ranks 28th (8.4).
- New Orleans is 3-0 when they allow less than 100 points, while Portland is 4-0.
- The Trail Blazers are 25-24 when they score more than 100 points, while the Pelicans are 23-29.
- New Orleans is 12-11-4 ATS on the road, while Portland is 11-14-1 ATS at home.
- The Pelicans have 16 overs and 11 unders in 27 road games.
- Of the Trail Blazers’ 26 home games, they have 16 overs and 10 unders.
- The Trail Blazers are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 2-2-1.
- In their last five games, Portland has 3 overs and 2 unders, while New Orleans has 4 overs and 1 under.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 115.0 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.4 points per game (3.1 above their season average).
- The Pelicans have outscored opponents by an average of 3.4 points in their last five games. For the season, New Orleans has lost by an average of 1.5 points.