The New Orleans Pelicans (13-25) will travel to Madison Square Garden to clash with the New York Knicks (10-28). The game will air on ESPN at 7:15 p.m. ET on Friday, January 10, 2020.
New Orleans Pelicans at New York Knicks Betting Odds
The Pelicans come in on a high note after comfortably covering the 3-point spread against the Chicago Bulls in their last contest, 123-108. The Knicks, meanwhile, were blown out by the Utah Jazz, 128-104, and were unable to cover as 13.5-point underdogs. Both games went over their projected point totals. The New Orleans game went 7.5 points over the projected point total of 223.5, while the New York game finished 18.5 points over the projected point total of 213.5.
New Orleans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.299 (above their season average of 0.170) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.3 (above their season average of 23.0). For those same stats, Chicago was 0.130 and 20.8, respectively. New York, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (26.9 vs. 30.8). New York received a boost from Bobby Portis, who finished with 13 points, 13 rebounds and six assists. Brandon Ingram led the way for New Orleans, putting up 29 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds.
This series was highly contested last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Knicks won 114-109. The Knicks’ 7.2 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Pelicans, who had a mark of 11.0. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Of the Pelicans’ 38 games, 20 have finished over the projected point total. New Orleans heads into the contest with records of 13-25 straight up (SU) and 16-19-3 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas is known to place the total high when the Knicks are involved, as 22 of their 38 games have gone under the projected point total. Further, New York owns records of 10-28 SU and 18-19-1 ATS.
Contrasting styles will be on display in this meeting. New Orleans has preferred an up-and-down style of play (sixth in possessions per game), while New York has been slower-paced (19th in possessions per game).
New Orleans Pelicans at New York Knicks Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans average 45.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Knicks rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (46.4).
- New Orleans ranks fourth in fast break points per game (16.3) while New York ranks 28th (10.2).
- The Knicks average 14.7 second chance points per game, which ranks second in the league. The Pelicans rank 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- New Orleans ranks 10th in assists per game (25.0) while New York ranks 28th (20.9).
- New York ranks 15th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.1) while New Orleans ranks 25th (18.5).
- The Knicks rank third in points allowed in the paint per game (42.5) while the Pelicans rank 26th (51.1).
- The Knicks rank fifth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Pelicans rank 16th (7.8).
- New Orleans averages 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. New York ranks 15th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- New Orleans averages 38.8 three pointers per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. New York ranks 25th in three pointers allowed per game (35.3).
- New York is 3-1 when they allow below 100 points, while New Orleans is 3-0.
- The Knicks are 9-18 when they score over 100 points, while the Pelicans are 13-22.
- New York is 7-9-1 ATS at home, while New Orleans is 7-9-3 ATS on the road.
- The Pelicans have 10 overs and 9 unders in 19 road games.
- In 17 home games, the Knicks have 12 unders and 5 overs.
- The Pelicans are 4-0-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Knicks are 2-3.
- In their last five games, New Orleans has 5 overs, while New York has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 121.2 points per game (8.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 117.2 points per game (0.5 above their season average).
- The Knicks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 8.1 for the season.