The New Orleans Pelicans (6-16) and the Dallas Mavericks (15-6) clash at American Airlines Center. The Pelicans will try to put an end to their seven-game losing streak. The game starts at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 7, 2019, and will air on Fox Sports – Southwest.
New Orleans Pelicans at Dallas Mavericks Betting Odds
The Mavericks will look to keep it rolling after covering the 5.5-point spread against the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last contest, 121-114. The Pelicans, meanwhile, were defeated by the Phoenix Suns, 139-132, and were unable to cover as 4.5-point underdogs. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Dallas game finished 6.5 points over the projected point total of 228.5, while the New Orleans game went 37.5 points over the projected point total of 233.5.
The Mavericks had a turnover percentage of 7.3 (better than their season average of 10.9) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.560 (above their season average of 0.542). New Orleans, meanwhile, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (27-35; 77.1 percent). Dallas’ Dwight Powell led the way, finishing with 24 points and five rebounds. Meanwhile, New Orleans was lifted by Lonzo Ball, who recorded 20 points, 11 assists and six rebounds.
The Mavericks have won both matchups against the Pelicans this year. The two teams combined for 215 points in their most recent game, which was well under the projected point total of 233.5. Dallas won 118-97, covering as a 4.5-point favorite. Dallas made good use of their 27 trips to the charity stripe, converting on 23 of them (85.2 percent). New Orleans, on the other hand, was just 10-15 (66.7 percent). Luka Doncic put up a double-double in the victory with 33 points and 18 rebounds.
Dallas could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense squares off against one of the NBA’s worst defenses. The Mavericks rank first in offensive efficiency, while New Orleans ranks 24th in defensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Pelicans, who rank 26th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.173), could have a difficult time getting to the line against the Mavericks, who rank fourth in opponents’ FTA rate (0.172).
New Orleans Pelicans at Dallas Mavericks Betting Pick
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Over
- The Mavericks average 24.3 assists per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 24th in assists allowed per game (25.4).
- Dallas averages 15.3 second chance points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. New Orleans ranks 28th in second chance points allowed per game (14.7).
- The Pelicans average 15.4 fast break points per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. The Mavericks rank 24th in fast break points allowed per game (15.1).
- Dallas averages 47.8 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the league. New Orleans ranks 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (46.5).
- Dallas ranks 14th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.9) while New Orleans ranks 26th (52.2).
- The Mavericks rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.4) while the Pelicans rank 26th (19.7).
- The Pelicans rank 11th in steals per game (8.1) while the Mavericks rank 26th (6.6).
- Dallas ranks second in blocks allowed per game (3.9) while New Orleans ranks eighth (4.7).
- Dallas ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (40.5) while New Orleans ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (34.9).
- Dallas is 2-0 when they allow below 100 points.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Mavericks are 15-5 and the Pelicans are 6-14.
- New Orleans is 3-6-1 ATS on the road, while Dallas is 5-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Mavericks’ 11 home games, while 6 of the Pelicans’ 10 road games have gone over.
- The Mavericks are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 1-3-1.
- In their last five games, Dallas has 3 unders and 2 overs, while New Orleans has 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Mavericks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.8, down from 8.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 109.4 points per game (5.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 117.4 points per game (2.3 below their season average).