Expect a shootout when the New Mexico Lobos (13-14, 8-6 MWC) and the Wyoming Cowboys (17-10, 8-6 MWC) go head-to-head at Arena-Auditorium. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 157 points with Wyoming set as a 4-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
New Mexico Lobos at Wyoming Cowboys ATS Preview
The last time the Lobos played, they were victorious over the Utah State Aggies, 78-63. Anthony Mathis was New Mexico’s high scorer with 25 points on 8-for-12 shooting. The Lobos forced 23 turnovers and held the Aggies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 9.5 (below their season average of 26.6).
The Cowboys come in on a high note after topping the San Jose State Spartans in their last matchup, 89-75. Wyoming was lifted by Hayden Dalton, who was the teams leading scorer with 22 points on 6-for-12 shooting. The Cowboys had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.623 (above their season average of 0.503) and had a turnover percentage of 15.1 (better than their season average of 16.2).
The aggressive Wyoming offense might be living from the foul line in this contest. The Cowboys currently rank sixth in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.310, while New Mexico is among the NCAA’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 283rd-ranked FTA rate of 0.271). Additionally, second chance points figure to be rare for the Lobos. They rank 251st in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 26.7 percent, while the Cowboys are 50th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 74.7 percent).
Of New Mexico’s 24 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished under the O/U total, while 15 of Wyoming’s 25 games have finished over the projected point total. The Cowboys hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (17-10 vs. 13-14), but the Lobos have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (13-12 vs. 10-14-1).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Lobos, it’s been Mathis, who has averaged 17.0 points, while the Cowboys have received solid contributions from Dalton (22.8 points and 7.6 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 141 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 156. The Lobos won 75-66, covering as 3-point favorites. The Lobos dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5 and a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.380. The Cowboys recorded marks of 14.3 and 0.189, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Justin James was the games leading scorer with 31 points.
New Mexico Lobos at Wyoming Cowboys Betting Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – New Mexico, ATS Winner – New Mexico, O/U – Over
- The Cowboys rank 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Lobos rank 129th (3.6).
- New Mexico ranks 35th in steals per game (7.6) while Wyoming ranks 122nd in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- Wyoming is 5-7 ATS at home, while New Mexico is 4-8 ATS on the road.
- In 12 road games, the Lobos have 6 overs and 6 unders.
- In 12 home games, the Cowboys have 9 overs and 3 unders.
- Wyoming ranks 112th in rebounds per game (36.1) while New Mexico ranks 271st (31.3).
- The Lobos average 16.1 assists per game, which ranks 39th in the NCAA. The Cowboys rank 168th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- New Mexico averages 30.2 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the nation. Wyoming ranks 125th in three pointers allowed per game (21.4).
- Wyoming is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Mexico is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cowboys have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Wyoming has defeated opponents by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Lobos have scored an average of 78.4 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average).