The New Jersey Devils, spearheaded by Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmieri, are preparing to take the ice against Tyler Seguin, Miro Heiskanen, and the Dallas Stars at the American Airlines Center in an East-West tilt. Fox Sports Southwest will air the action, which gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 10.
New Jersey Devils at Dallas Stars Odds
New Jersey (+175) is currently the underdog to Dallas (-210), and the oddsmakers have put the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals (-110 for the over, -110 for the under).
Netting moneyline bettors 1.8 units, Dallas is 17-14 straight up (SU) overall this year. That early-season winning percentage is right in line with what the team posted during the 2018-19 season (43-39). 20 of its 31 matches have gone under the total, while 10 have gone over and just one has pushed. The team’s 11-5 SU at home this year.
The Stars have converted on 18.2 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is rated fourth overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 85.6 percent of all penalties.
Sporting a .932 save percentage and 27.2 saves per game, Ben Bishop (13-8-2) has been the principal goalkeeper for Dallas this season. If head coach Jim Montgomery decides to rest him, however, the team may turn to Anton Khudobin (6-6-6 record, .922 save percentage, 2.39 goals against average).
On the other hand, New Jersey is 9-20 straight up (SU) and has lost 12.2 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year. A total of 16 of its matches have gone over the total, while 12 have gone under the total and just one has pushed. As a road team this season, the Devils are 5-8 SU.
The Devils have converted on just 14.0 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that places them in the bottom-five overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 21st overall and it’s successfully killed off 77.3 percent of all opponent power plays.
MacKenzie Blackwood (26.0 saves per game) has been the main choice in goal for New Jersey. Blackwood has eight wins, 13 losses, and four overtime losses to his credit, while registering a .899 save percentage and 3.05 goals against average this year.
New Jersey Devils at Dallas Stars Free Picks
NHL Tip: SU Winner – Stars, O/U – Over
- 58.8 percent of Dallas’ wins have come by two or more goals (the team is 10-7 overall in such games) while 44.4 percent of New Jersey’s wins have come by two goals or more (4-13 overall in such games).
- The Devils are 4-10 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 4-14 when they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes.
- New Jersey is 1-4 in games decided by a shootout this season while Dallas is 1-2 in shootouts.
- The under has hit in three of Dallas’ last five outings.
- New Jersey is ranked 10th this season with 9.3 giveaways per game. That figure’s trended upward recently, as the team’s averaged 12.3 giveaways over its last 10 games and 10.8 giveaways over its last five.
- Dallas skaters have averaged 17.2 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 13.0 giveaways per game (ranked 30th overall).