NEC foes will collide when the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds (4-7, 0-1 NEC) challenge the Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers (5-8, 0-1 NEC) at Steinberg Wellness Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers at LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds Odds Preview
In the Mountaineers’ last contest, they were blown out by the Wagner Seahawks, 76-57. Mount St. Mary’s Junior Robinson put together a solid performance, leading both teams in scoring with 19 points on 6-for-20 shooting. Wagner had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 36.6). Mount St. Mary’s, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.278 (above their season average of 0.177).
The Blackbirds are hoping for a better outcome after their 82-71 loss to the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights in their last game. Joel Hernandez was LIU Brooklyn’s high scorer with 23 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Fairleigh Dickinson had a turnover percentage of 4.9 (better than their season average of 19.7). LIU Brooklyn, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.5 (above their season average of 27.5).
It will be a matchup of conflicting styles as the up-tempo Blackbirds will look to push the more half-court-oriented Mountaineers. The Blackbirds currently rank 22nd in possessions per game while the Mountaineers are 215th.
Hernandez has taken his game to another level over the last five games for LIU Brooklyn, averaging 23.6 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Blackbirds won the last contest 62-58. LIU Brooklyn did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (18-22; 81.8 percent). Mount St. Mary’s, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.510 vs. 0.431).
Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers vs. LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mount St. Mary’s, ATS Winner – Mount St. Mary’s, O/U – Over
- The Blackbirds rank 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Mountaineers rank 35th (2.5).
- LIU Brooklyn ranks 58th in rebounds per game (39.0) while Mount St. Mary’s ranks 272nd (29.2).
- The Mountaineers rank 15th in three pointers attempted per game (28.3) while the Blackbirds rank 99th (23.5).
- Mount St. Mary’s ranks 125th in steals per game (6.2) while LIU Brooklyn ranks 154th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Blackbirds average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 1.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (3.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (11.4 below their season average).