The Morgan State Bears (10-16, 6-7 MEAC) will travel to Hampton Convocation Center to clash against the Hampton Pirates (15-14, 10-4 MEAC) in their home finale. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Morgan State Bears vs. Hampton Pirates Betting Preview
In the Bears last game, they lost a close one to the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats, 96-95. With 41 points on 13-for-19 shooting, Tiwian Kendley was the top scorer from either team. Bethune-Cookman had an effective field goal percentage of 0.579 (above their season average of 0.494). Morgan State, on the other hand, held the Wildcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.1 (below their season average of 34.3).
The Pirates will look to maintain momentum after beating the Savannah State Tigers in their last game, 114-102. Hampton rallied around Kalin Fisher, who was the games leading scorer with 37 points on 12-for-21 shooting. Hampton dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.461 (above their season average of 0.260) and a turnover percentage of 16.1 (worse than their season average of 15.3). For those same stats, Savannah State was 0.087 and 17.8, respectively.
When considering effective field goal percentage, Hampton figures to have a noteworthy advantage. The Pirates defense ranks 54th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.480), while the Morgan State offense is ranked 340th in effective field goal percentage (0.452).
Malique Trent-Street has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Hampton, averaging 13.0 points, 3.6 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Bears won the sole game last season, 77-70. Morgan State had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (42.9 vs. 27.5). Hampton, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (15.3 vs. 17.4).
Morgan State Bears vs. Hampton Pirates Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Morgan State, ATS Winner – Morgan State, O/U – Over
- The Pirates rank 263rd in three pointers attempted per game (18.4) while the Bears rank 303rd (15.1).
- Morgan State ranks 58th in steals per game (7.2) while Hampton ranks 60th in steals allowed per game (5.6).
- Morgan State ranks 24th in rebounds per game (39.3) while Hampton ranks 267th in rebounds allowed per game (38.4).
- The Pirates average 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 60th in the nation. The Bears rank 192nd in assists allowed per game (14.3).
- Hampton averages 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 99th in the nation. Morgan State ranks 164th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- The Pirates average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.4, up from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 85.0 points per game (12.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.6 points per game (0.3 above their season average).