The Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (18-13, 12-4 MEAC) and the Morgan State Bears (12-18, 8-9 MEAC) go head-to-head in the Mid-Eastern Conference Tourney at Norfolk Scope Arena. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Morgan State Bears vs. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats Free Preview
The Bears edged the South Carolina State Bulldogs in their last outing, 83-80. Phillip Carr led Morgan State in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Morgan State played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 39.1 (above their season average of 34.6) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.650 (above their season average of 0.456). South Carolina State had marks of 25.0 and 0.588, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Wildcats’ last game, they topped the Florida A&M Rattlers, 89-77. With 27 points on 13-for-13 shooting, Soufiyane Diakite was Bethune-Cookman’s high scorer. The Wildcats knocked down 22 of their 26 free throws (84.6 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.620 (above their season average of 0.502).
The aggressive Bethune-Cookman offense could be living from the charity stripe in this matchup. The Wildcats rank 58th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.277, while Morgan State ranks 321st in FTA rate allowed (0.293). Additionally, the Bears could control the offensive glass in this contest as they rank 24th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 34.7 percent. The Wildcats, meanwhile, rank 257th in defensive rebounding percentage (69.8 percent).
Isaiah Bailey has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Bethune-Cookman, averaging 20.4 points, 8.0 rebounds, 7.4 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Wildcats won 96-95. Bethune-Cookman had a better effective field goal percentage (0.579 vs. 0.530). Morgan State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 23.1). Tiwian Kendley was the top overall scorer in the game with 41 points.
Morgan State Bears vs. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats Odds Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Morgan State, ATS Winner – Morgan State, O/U – Under
- The Bears average 7.1 steals per game, which ranks 61st in the nation. The Wildcats rank 162nd in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- Bethune-Cookman ranks 90th in blocks per game (3.7) while Morgan State ranks 163rd in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Morgan State ranks 59th in rebounds per game (37.9) while Bethune-Cookman ranks 279th in rebounds allowed per game (38.6).
- The Wildcats rank 89th in three pointers attempted per game (23.8) while the Bears rank 306th (15.1).
- Bethune-Cookman ranks 39th in assists per game (15.8) while Morgan State ranks 229th (12.1).
- The Wildcats’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.0, up from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (0.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.2 points per game (0.6 above their season average).