A five-game home winning streak is on the line for the Rider Broncs (15-12, 9-8 MAAC), who will be 3.5-point favorites when they welcome the Monmouth Hawks (16-11, 10-6 MAAC) to Alumni Gymnasium. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147.5 points and it can be seen on ESPNU at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Monmouth Hawks at Rider Broncs ATS Odds
The Hawks defeated the Quinnipiac Bobcats in their last contest, 89-78, covering as 6-point favorites. The Broncs, on the other hand, were blown out by the Saint Peter’s Peacocks, 73-54, and were not able to cover as 2.5-point underdogs. The Monmouth game went 19 points over the projected point total of 148, while the Rider game finished 10.5 points under the projected point total of 137.5.
The Hawks had a solid turnover percentage of 9.9 (better than their season average of 16.0) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.585 (above their season average of 0.466). Rider, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (16-21; 76.2 percent). Dimencio Vaughn led the way for Rider, recording 24 points and eight rebounds. Meanwhile, Ray Salnave was a key piece for Monmouth with 14 points and six assists.
In their first matchup this season, Nikkei Rutty led the Hawks to a 90-84 victory. He recorded a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 174 points, which was well over the projected point total of 148.5, and Monmouth covered as a 1-point favorite. Monmouth’s rebounding was their biggest strength. The Hawks had more offensive rebounds (17 vs. 9) and total rebounds (40 vs. 32).
Vegas is known to place the total low when the Hawks are involved, as 17 of their 27 games have finished over the total. Monmouth holds records of 16-11 straight up (SU) and 14-12-1 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Monmouth, Broncs games tend to finish under the projected point total (66.7 percent). Moreover, Rider owns records of 15-12 SU and 11-15-1 ATS.
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Rider offense. Rider ranks 233rd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.8 percent), while the gambling defense of Monmouth forces the 38th-most turnovers in the country (22.5 percent). Additionally, second chance points figure to be few and far between for the Hawks. They rank 271st in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.4 percent, while the Broncs are 30th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 76.3 percent).
Monmouth at Rider Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Rider, ATS Winner – Rider, O/U – Over
- Rider averages 38.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 53rd in the nation. Monmouth ranks 259th in rebounds allowed per game (38.3).
- The Hawks rank 152nd in assists per game (12.9) while the Broncs rank 185th in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- The Hawks average 22.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 146th in the NCAA. The Broncs rank 285th in three pointers allowed per game (26.4).
- Monmouth ranks 40th in steals per game (7.9) while Rider ranks 163rd in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Rider is 6-4 ATS at home, while Monmouth is 8-8-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 6 of the Broncs’ 10 home games, while 9 of the Hawks’ 17 road games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Monmouth and Rider are both 2-2-1 ATS.
- The Hawks have 4 overs and 1 under over their last five games, while the Broncs have 5 unders
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (4.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (2.6 above their season average).
- The Broncs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 1.3 for the season.