The Missouri State Bears (7-8, 1-1 MVC) head to Redbird Arena to meet the Illinois State Redbirds (6-8, 1-1 MVC). The Bears will try to put an end to a five-game road losing streak. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.
Missouri State Bears at Illinois State Redbirds Betting Odds
Both teams fell in their last game. The Redbirds fell to the Southern Illinois Salukis, 67-55, while the Bears were defeated by the Loyola Chicago Ramblers, 62-58.
Missouri State held Loyola Chicago to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below the 26.1 mark opponents have averaged against Missouri State this season) while Illinois State forced Southern Illinois into a turnover percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 17.9). Illinois State’s Jaycee Hillsman had a solid performance, contributing 13 points. Meanwhile, Missouri State was lifted by Gaige Prim, who contributed 14 points.
This was a highly competitive series last year, as the teams split their two games last season. The Redbirds won the last game 65-57. The Redbirds’ 29.4 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Bears, who had a rate of 18.2. This will be the first game of the year between these two teams.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the nation’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Illinois State currently ranks 253rd in possessions per game (68.6) and Missouri State is 310th (66.7). Furthermore, the Bears, who rank 45th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.0 percent), will square off against the Redbirds, who rank 262nd in defensive rebounding percentage (70.0 percent).
Missouri State vs. Illinois State Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Illinois State, ATS Winner – Illinois State, O/U – Over
- Missouri State ranks 12th in rebounds allowed per game (30.0) while Illinois State ranks 139th (35.4).
- The Redbirds are 38th in the country with 2.6 blocks allowed per game while the Bears are 54th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- The Bears rank 26th in assists allowed per game (10.1) while the Redbirds rank 99th (12.1).
- Illinois State ranks 200th in three pointers attempted per game (19.9) while Missouri State ranks 227th (18.7).
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 64.2 points per game (2.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.0 points per game (2.1 below their season average).
- The Redbirds’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 2.1 for the season.