The Missouri State Bears (6-7) and the Southern Illinois Salukis (7-6) face off at SIU Arena. The Bears can put an end to a seven-game road losing streak. The game starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
Missouri State Bears at Southern Illinois Salukis ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Salukis lost to the second-ranked Kentucky Wildcats, 71-59, while the Bears had no trouble getting past the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, 84-50.
The Bears had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.603 vs. 0.336) and had a much better turnover percentage (14.7 vs. 24.2). Southern Illinois, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (17.5 vs. 22.4). Southern Illinois received a boost from Kavion Pippen, who had 16 points and seven rebounds. Jarred Dixon, meanwhile fueled Missouri State with 26 points.
The Salukis dominated this series last year, winning all three games. In the last game, Southern Illinois won 67-63. The Salukis’ turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Bears. Southern Illinois had a rate of 10.2, while Missouri State posted a mark of 15.0. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Keandre Cook and Dixon have played well over the last five games for Missouri State. Cook has averaged 0 points per game, while Dixon has recorded 0 points a game during that span.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams clash. Southern Illinois currently ranks 289th in possessions per game (67.8) and Missouri State is 296th (71.9). Additionally, the Bears rank 256th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.262), while the Salukis rank 17th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.160).
Missouri State Bears at Southern Illinois Salukis Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Southern Illinois, ATS Winner – Southern Illinois, O/U – Under
- Missouri State ranks 132nd in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while Southern Illinois ranks 241st (26.6).
- The Salukis average 4.3 blocks per game, which ranks 49th in the nation. The Bears rank 90th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Southern Illinois averages 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 57th in the nation. Missouri State ranks 81st in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- The Salukis’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (2.7 below their season average).