The Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils (3-25, 3-12 SWAC) can end a 19-game road losing streak when they square off against the Jackson State Tigers (10-17, 7-7 SWAC) at Williams Center. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils vs. Jackson State Tigers Odds Preview
The last time the Delta Devils played, they beat the Prairie View A&M Panthers, 76-71. Dante Scott led Mississippi Valley State in scoring with 15 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Mississippi Valley State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 47.2 (above their season average of 29.2) and a free throw rate of 0.271 (above their season average of 0.186). For those same stats, Prairie View A&M was 24.4 and 0.177, respectively.
The Tigers are hoping for a better outcome after their 71-64 loss to the Grambling State Tigers in their last outing. With 14 points, 11 rebounds and six assists, Paris Collins played well for Jackson State. Grambling State did a fantastic job of making free throws (20-27; 74.1 percent). Jackson State, on the other hand, forced Grambling State into a turnover percentage of 22.1 (above their season average of 17.9).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Mississippi Valley State. Mississippi Valley State ranks 132nd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 18.0 percent), while the gambling defense of Jackson State forces the 31st-most turnovers in the nation (22.1 percent).
Scott has really been playing well over the last five games for Mississippi Valley State, averaging 19.8 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Delta Devils won 72-67. One of Mississippi Valley State’s largest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They made 28 trips to the line, while Jackson State went just 14 times. Kylan Phillips was the games leading scorer with 23 points.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils at Jackson State Tigers ATS Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Mississippi Valley State, ATS Winner – Mississippi Valley State, O/U – Under
- The Tigers are 12th in the nation with 4.7 steals allowed per game while the Delta Devils are 56th with 5.6 steals allowed per game.
- Jackson State averages 2.8 blocks per game, which ranks 164th in the NCAA. Mississippi Valley State ranks 195th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Jackson State ranks 36th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 203rd (23.3).
- The Tigers rank 79th in assists allowed per game (12.3) while the Delta Devils rank 228th (15.1).
- Mississippi Valley State ranks 189th in rebounds per game (34.5) while Jackson State ranks 253rd in rebounds allowed per game (37.7).
- The Tigers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, down from 6.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Delta Devils have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (8.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (6.6 below their season average).