The Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils (3-26, 3-13 SWAC) will travel to Assembly Center to meet the Grambling State Tigers (15-13, 11-4 SWAC) in their home finale. Action gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 26, 2018.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils at Grambling State Tigers Odds Preview
The Delta Devils lost a close one to the Jackson State Tigers in their last contest, 60-59. Mississippi Valley State’s Dante Scott had 18 points and 10 rebounds in the game. Jackson State did a terrific job of making free throws (13-16; 81.3 percent). Mississippi Valley State, meanwhile, held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.0 (below their season average of 30.5).
In the Tigers’ last matchup, they were beaten by the UAPB Golden Lions, 75-66. Nigel Ribeiro was the game’s leading scorer with 17 points on 4-for-10 shooting. UAPB held the Tigers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.336 (below their season average of 0.466). Grambling State, on the other hand, held the Golden Lions to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.0 (below the 30.5 mark opponents have averaged against Grambling State this season).
The aggressive Grambling State offense seems poised to dominate from the free throw line. The Tigers rank 13th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.302, while Mississippi Valley State ranks 301st in FTA rate allowed (0.283).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Delta Devils, it’s been Scott, who has averaged 20.0 points and 7.4 rebounds, while the Tigers have gotten great contributions from Ivy Smith Jr. (21.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.0 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Tigers won 92-89. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Grambling State’s largest advantages. They made 41 trips to the line, while Mississippi Valley State went 27 times. Smith Jr. was a top performer in the victory, with 26 points, nine rebounds and five assists.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils at Grambling State Tigers Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Grambling State, ATS Winner – Grambling State, O/U – Under
- The Tigers rank 122nd in assists allowed per game (13.2) while the Delta Devils rank 227th (15.1).
- Mississippi Valley State ranks 267th in three pointers attempted per game (17.9) while Grambling State ranks 299th (15.0).
- Grambling State averages 38.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 50th in the NCAA. Mississippi Valley State ranks 291st in rebounds allowed per game (40.1).
- The Tigers rank 28th in steals per game (7.7) while the Delta Devils rank 155th (5.7).
- Grambling State ranks 122nd in blocks per game (3.3) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 228th (1.8).
- The Tigers have outscored opponents by an average of 7.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Grambling State has lost by an average of 2.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Delta Devils have scored an average of 69.4 points per game (5.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (7.4 below their season average).