The Texas A&M Aggies (17-10, 6-8 SEC) will try to lengthen a five-game home winning streak when they square off against the Mississippi State Bulldogs (19-8, 7-7 SEC) at Reed Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 138.5 points with Texas A&M opening as a 6.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 20, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. Texas A&M Aggies Betting Preview
The last time the Bulldogs played, they beat the Ole Miss Rebels, 79-62. Quinndary Weatherspoon was the games leading scorer with 16 points on 6-for-13 shooting. The Bulldogs had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.673 (above their season average of 0.526), while the Rebels had a turnover percentage of 18.7 (above their season average of 13.8).
The Aggies are hoping for a better outcome after their 94-75 loss to the Arkansas Razorbacks in their last game. Robert Williams was Texas A&M’s high scorer with 20 points on 10-for-13 shooting. Arkansas had a turnover percentage of 10.0 (better than their season average of 13.6). Texas A&M, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.418 (above their season average of 0.197).
Texas A&M might have a tough time finding the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Mississippi State ranks 27th in defensive efficiency, while the Aggies rank 147th in offensive efficiency. Also, the Bulldogs, who rank 276th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.208), could struggle to get to the line against the Aggies, who rank 38th in opponents FTA rate (0.191).
Of Mississippi State’s 22 games with betting action, 12 have finished under the O/U total, while 12 of Texas A&M’s 24 games have finished over the O/U total. The Bulldogs have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (19-8 vs. 17-10), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Williams has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Texas A&M, averaging 11.8 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Bulldogs won the sole contest played against each other last season, 67-59. The Bulldogs played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.545 and a turnover percentage of 18.5. The Aggies had marks of 0.231 and 26.6, respectively, for those same stats.
Mississippi State Bulldogs at Texas A&M Aggies Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Texas A&M, ATS Winner – Mississippi State, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 36th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while the Aggies rank 131st (6.4).
- Mississippi State ranks 131st in three pointers attempted per game (22.3) while Texas A&M ranks 216th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- Mississippi State is 3-6 ATS on the road, while Texas A&M is 5-6 ATS at home.
- The Bulldogs have 5 overs and 4 unders in 9 road games.
- Of the Aggies 11 home games, they have 6 unders and 5 overs.
- Mississippi State averages 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks 15th in the NCAA. Texas A&M ranks 173rd in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- The Bulldogs rank 41st in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Aggies rank 182nd (14.3).
- Texas A&M ranks third in rebounds per game (41.6) while Mississippi State ranks 110th in rebounds allowed per game (33.8).
- Texas A&M is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Mississippi State is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Aggies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.4, down from 6.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (3.8 above their season average).