The Ole Miss Rebels (8-6, 1-1 SEC) look to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Mississippi State when they welcome the Bulldogs (13-1, 1-0 SEC) to The Pavilion at Ole Miss. Tip-off is set for 4:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. Ole Miss Rebels ATS Preview
The last time the Bulldogs played, they barely escaped the No. 22 Arkansas Razorbacks, 78-75. With 22 points and seven rebounds, Quinndary Weatherspoon played well for Mississippi State. Mississippi State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.407 (above their season average of 0.217) and a turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 17.9). Arkansas had marks of 0.081 and 16.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The Rebels are hoping for a better outcome after their 71-60 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs in their last game. Breein Tyree led Ole Miss in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Georgia did a terrific job of making free throws (16-22; 72.7 percent). Ole Miss, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.1 vs. 15.3).
Ball security could play a significant role in this meeting. Ole Miss commits the 40th-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 16.5 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Mississippi State forces the 44th-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 22.6 percent). Also, the Bulldogs, who rank 54th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.6 percent), will attempt to take advantage of the Rebels, who rank 262nd in defensive rebounding percentage (69.1 percent).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Rebels won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Ole Miss won 87-82. One of Ole Miss largest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They made 44 trips to the line, while Mississippi State went just 25 times.
Mississippi State Bulldogs at Ole Miss Rebels Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Ole Miss, ATS Winner – Ole Miss, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 12th in blocks per game (6.1) while the Rebels rank 34th in blocks allowed per game (2.6).
- Mississippi State allows the 38th-fewest steals per game (5.4) while Ole Miss ranks 49th (5.5).
- Mississippi State ranks 42nd in assists allowed per game (11.2) while Ole Miss ranks 224th (16.4).
- The Bulldogs average 39.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 39th in the NCAA. The Rebels rank 213th in rebounds allowed per game (38.1).
- Ole Miss averages 25.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 53rd in the NCAA. Mississippi State ranks 205th in three pointers allowed per game (24.3).
- The Rebels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 4.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 82.6 points per game (4.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.8 points per game (2.3 above their season average).