Northwest Division foes will collide when the Utah Jazz (6-7) take on the Minnesota Timberwolves (7-5) at Vivint Smart Home Arena. Minnesota is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 207.5 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, November 13, 2017.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Utah Jazz Betting Preview
The Timberwolves fell to the Phoenix Suns in their last matchup, 118-110. Minnesota’s Karl-Anthony Towns contributed 17 points and 12 rebounds in the game. Phoenix had an effective field goal percentage of 0.593 (above their season average of 0.482). Minnesota, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (9.0 vs. 15.7).
In the Jazz’s last game, they topped the Brooklyn Nets, 114-106. Utah rallied around Derrick Favors, who recorded 24 points and 12 rebounds. Utah dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 27.9 (above their season average of 19.0) and a turnover percentage of 14.3 (better than their season average of 15.4). Brooklyn recorded marks of 23.8 and 15.4, respectively, for those same stats.
It could be an error-filled game for the Utah offense. Utah ranks 28th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 16.7 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Minnesota forces the eighth-most turnovers in the NBA (15.7 percent).
Of Minnesota’s 12 games, six have finished over the projected point total, while 7 of Utah’s 13 games have finished under the projected point total. The Timberwolves have the superior straight up (SU) record (7-5 vs. 6-7), but the Jazz hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (7-6 vs. 5-6-1).
Taj Gibson has really been playing well over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 10.4 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 197 points, hitting the projected point total. The Timberwolves won 100-97, covering as 5-point underdogs. The Timberwolves dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4 and a solid free throw rate of 0.259. The Jazz put up marks of 17.1 and 0.182, respectively, for those same stats. Ricky Rubio had a double-double in the defeat, with 19 points and 10 assists.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Utah Jazz ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in points in the paint per game (48.8) while the Jazz rank 27th (38.2).
- Minnesota averages 9.1 steals per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. Utah ranks 21st in steals allowed per game (8.6).
- Utah ranks second in assists allowed per game (18.1) while Minnesota ranks 25th (24.8).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while Utah ranks 16th (44.5).
- Utah is 6-3 ATS at home, while Minnesota is 2-4-1 ATS on the road.
- The Timberwolves have 4 overs and 3 unders in 7 road games.
- In 9 home games, the Jazz have 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Utah is 4-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Minnesota is 4-0.
- The Jazz are 4-2 when they reach 100 points, while the Timberwolves are 7-4.
- The Timberwolves rank third in second chance points per game (14.8) while the Jazz rank 23rd (9.8).
- Utah ranks third in points off turnovers per game (20.9) while Minnesota ranks 29th in points off turnovers allowed per game (22.3).
- The Jazz rank second in fast break points allowed per game (7.2) while the Timberwolves rank 27th (16.6).
- The Jazz rank 15th in three pointers attempted per game (28.4) while the Timberwolves rank 27th (22.8).
- Utah averages 6.1 blocks per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Minnesota ranks 27th in blocks allowed per game (6.0).
- Utah is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Jazz’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.0, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 107.8 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.8 points per game (5.0 below their season average).