The New Orleans Pelicans (3-4) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they clash with the Minnesota Timberwolves (4-3). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 224 points with New Orleans opening as a 1.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 1, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. New Orleans Pelicans Free Preview
The Timberwolves won a close one over the Miami Heat, 125-122, in their last outing. Jeff Teague was Minnesotas high scorer with 23 points on 7-for-18 shooting. The Timberwolves made 32 of their 35 free throws (91.4 percent), while the Heat had a turnover percentage of 18.8 (above their season average of 13.6).
In the Pelicans last matchup, they were beat by the Orlando Magic, 115-99. Anthony Davis was the games leading scorer with 39 points on 13-for-20 shooting. Orlando was lights out from beyond the arc (16-34; 47.1 percent). New Orleans, meanwhile, held the Magic to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.0 (below the 22.1 mark opponents have averaged against New Orleans this season).
It will be a battle of contrasting paces as the up-tempo Pelicans will look to push the more half-court-oriented Timberwolves. Dating back to last season, the Pelicans rank ninth in possessions per game while the Timberwolves are 24th. Moreover, the Timberwolves, who rank fourth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.231), will square off against the Pelicans, who rank fourth in opponents FTA rate (0.180).
Games featuring Minnesota have finished over 85.7 percent of the time, while 57.1 percent of New Orleans games have gone over. The Timberwolves have the better straight up (SU) record (4-3 vs. 3-4), but the Pelicans hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (4-3 vs. 2-4-1).
The Pelicans won all three matchups against the Timberwolves last season. In the last matchup, the Pelicans won 117-96. New Orleans had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.596 vs. 0.401). Minnesota, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (16.3 vs. 10.8).
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Pelicans rank 13th in three pointers attempted per game (27.1) while the Timberwolves rank last (21.2).
- New Orleans averages 44.8 points in the paint per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Minnesota ranks 25th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.7).
- Minnesota ranks 10th in points off turnovers per game (17.1) while New Orleans ranks 27th (14.8).
- New Orleans ranks 14th in steals per game (7.8) while Minnesota ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (7.7).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Minnesota is 17-7 and New Orleans is 18-11.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Timberwolves are 30-34 and the Pelicans are 34-25.
- The Pelicans rank fourth in blocks per game (5.5) while the Timberwolves rank 20th (4.4).
- Minnesota ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (40.6) while New Orleans ranks last (48.0).
- The Timberwolves rank third in second chance points per game (14.8) while the Pelicans rank 26th (11.0).
- The Timberwolves rank eighth in assists per game (23.5) while the Pelicans rank 20th in assists allowed per game (23.4).
- New Orleans averages 14.5 fast break points per game, which ranks seventh in the league. Minnesota ranks 25th in fast break points allowed per game (14.1).