The New Orleans Pelicans (11-9) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they go head-to-head with the Minnesota Timberwolves (12-9). New Orleans opened as a 5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 218 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 29, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Preview
The Timberwolves lost a close one to the Washington Wizards in their last contest, 92-89. With 20 points on 9-for-19 shooting, Karl-Anthony Towns led Minnesota in scoring. Washington had a turnover percentage of 7.2 (better than their season average of 13.0). Minnesota, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.1 vs. 20.0).
In the Pelicans last game, they were topped by the Golden State Warriors, 110-95. Anthony Davis was the games leading scorer with 30 points on 12-for-22 shooting. Golden State had a turnover percentage of 7.8 (better than their season average of 14.8). New Orleans, on the other hand, held the Warriors to an effective field goal percentage of 0.468 (below their season average of 0.587).
It will be a matchup of contrasting tempos as the fast-breaking Pelicans will look to push the slower-paced Timberwolves. The Pelicans currently rank seventh in possessions per game while the Timberwolves are 22nd.
Of Minnesotas 20 games with betting action, 10 have finished under the O/U total, while 11 of New Orleans 20 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (12-9 for Minnesota; 11-9 for New Orleans), but the Pelicans have the advantage against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 12-8 ATS, while the Timberwolves are 8-10-2.
Jimmy Butler has really been playing well over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 21.8 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 202 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 224.5. The Timberwolves won 104-98, covering as 2-point underdogs. Minnesota had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.5 vs. 20.0). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (18-21; 85.7 percent). DeMarcus Cousins was the games top overall scorer with 35 points.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. New Orleans Pelicans Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Timberwolves average 14.8 second chance points per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 19th in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- New Orleans ranks 16th in three pointers attempted per game (29.4) while Minnesota ranks 29th (23.0).
- New Orleans ranks 10th in fast break points per game (12.1) while Minnesota ranks 26th in fast break points allowed per game (13.3).
- New Orleans ranks 15th in blocks per game (4.5) while Minnesota ranks 26th (3.7).
- On the road, Minnesota is 4-5-1 ATS with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- New Orleans is 5-4 ATS at home with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Minnesota is 7-1 when they allow below 100 points, while New Orleans is 4-0.
- The Pelicans are 9-4 when they reach 100 points, while the Timberwolves are 11-5.
- The Timberwolves average 18.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 10th in the league. The Pelicans rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (7.1) while New Orleans ranks 26th (8.8).
- The Pelicans average 52.4 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Timberwolves rank 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.5).
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.5) while the Pelicans rank 17th (44.0).
- New Orleans averages 25.9 assists per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Minnesota ranks 24th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 0-4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pelicans have outscored opponents by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. For the season, New Orleans has lost by an average of 0.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 106.2 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.0 points per game (1.5 above their season average).