The Indiana Pacers (19-17) will be at home in Bankers Life Fieldhouse when they clash with the Minnesota Timberwolves (22-14). Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Midwest – Indiana.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Indiana Pacers ATS Preview
In the Timberwolves last game, they were beaten by the Milwaukee Bucks, 102-96. Minnesota’s Karl-Anthony Towns had a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 22 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Milwaukee held the Timberwolves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below their season average of 25.0). Minnesota, meanwhile, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (19-26; 73.1 percent).
The Pacers are hoping for a better outcome after their 119-107 loss to the Chicago Bulls in their last contest. Darren Collison led Indiana in scoring with 30 points on 12-for-16 shooting. Chicago made 18 of their 39 three pointers (46.2 percent). Indiana, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (8.9 vs. 14.1).
The high-powered offense of Indiana (seventh in the league with an offensive efficiency of 108.7) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Minnesota (25th in the league with a defensive efficiency of 108.5). The Pacers should have the advantage on that end of the court. Furthermore, the Timberwolves rank fifth in offensive rebounding percentage (24.8 percent), while the Pacers rank 27th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.8 percent).
Of Minnesota’s 36 games, 20 have finished over the projected point total, while 19 of Indiana’s 36 games have finished under the projected point total. The Timberwolves have the superior straight up (SU) record (22-14 vs. 19-17), but the Pacers hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (20-16 vs. 15-19-2).
Jimmy Butler has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 31.2 points, 4.8 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 237 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 218.5. The Pacers won 130-107, covering as 10-point underdogs. The Pacers 30.8 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Timberwolves, who had a rate of 20.9. Collison put up a double-double in the victory with 15 points and 16 assists.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Indiana Pacers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
- The Timberwolves rank seventh in second chance points per game (14.0) while the Pacers rank 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in steals per game (8.8) while Indiana ranks 12th (8.0).
- Indiana averages 22.8 assists per game, which ranks 13th in the league. Minnesota ranks 26th in assists allowed per game (24.4).
- Minnesota is 10-7-1 ATS on the road with 11 overs and 7 unders.
- Indiana is 10-9 ATS at home with 11 unders, 7 overs and 1 push.
- Indiana is 9-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while Minnesota is 9-2.
- When reaching the century mark, the Pacers are 17-7 and the Timberwolves are 20-8.
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while the Pacers rank 15th (43.3).
- Indiana ranks third in fast break points per game (14.6) while Minnesota ranks 25th in fast break points allowed per game (13.4).
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in points in the paint per game (47.6) while the Pacers rank 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.6).
- The Timberwolves rank 18th in three pointers allowed per game (29.1) while the Pacers rank 25th (31.2).
- Indiana ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while Minnesota ranks 18th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.7).
- Indiana is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Pacers have been outscored by an average of 5.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Indiana has defeated opponents by an average of 0.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (5.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.2 points per game (1.5 above their season average).