The Charlotte Hornets (6-9) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they clash against the Minnesota Timberwolves (10-6). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 214 points with Charlotte set as a 1.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, November 20, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Charlotte Hornets Free Preview
The Timberwolves lost a tough one against the Detroit Pistons in their last outing, 100-97. With 26 points on 10-for-15 shooting, Jimmy Butler was the top scorer from either team. Detroit held the Timberwolves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.8 (below their season average of 25.5). Minnesota, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.545 vs. 0.518).
The last time the Hornets played, they topped the Los Angeles Clippers, 102-87. Charlottes Dwight Howard had a good outing, recording 16 points and 16 rebounds. Charlotte dominated every facet of the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.4 (better than their season average of 12.2) and a free throw rate of 0.264 (above their season average of 0.232). For those same stats, Los Angeles was 13.3 and 0.157, respectively.
Charlotte could have a tough time creating turnovers. Minnesota ranks 16th in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.6 percent), while Charlotte forces the fewest turnovers (12.6 percent).
Of Minnesotas 15 games that accepted bets, eight have finished under the O/U total, while 8 of Charlottes 15 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Timberwolves have a substantial advantage. They are 10-6 SU and 8-6-1 ATS, while the Hornets are 6-9 SU and 6-8-1 ATS.
Taj Gibson has been exceptional over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 13.0 points and 9.4 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 206 points, which was under the projected point total of 218. The Timberwolves won 112-94, covering as 5-point favorites. The Timberwolves dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.313 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6. The Hornets put up marks of 0.124 and 19.2, respectively, for those same stats. Jeff Teague put up a double-double in the victory with 18 points and 12 assists.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Charlotte Hornets Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank fourth in rebounds per game (47.2) while the Timberwolves rank 21st (42.7).
- Minnesota ranks 17th in three pointers allowed per game (28.8) while Charlotte ranks 27th (32.1).
- Minnesota ranks 11th in assists per game (22.7) while Charlotte ranks 26th (19.6).
- Minnesota ranks sixth in second chance points per game (13.9) while Charlotte ranks ninth in second chance points allowed per game (11.1).
- Minnesota is 4-4-1 ATS on the road with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Charlotte is 5-2 ATS at home with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Minnesota is 7-0 and Charlotte is 4-1.
- The Timberwolves are 9-4 when they score above 100 points, while the Hornets are 6-4.
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in points in the paint per game (47.1) while the Hornets rank 19th (42.3).
- Charlotte ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (7.7) while Minnesota ranks 28th (14.4).
- The Hornets rank third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.4) while the Timberwolves rank 27th (20.4).
- The Hornets average 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. The Timberwolves rank 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in steals per game (9.1) while Charlotte ranks 27th (5.7).
- Charlotte is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Hornets’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 0.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 105.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 97.8 points per game (9.2 below their season average).