The Minnesota Golden Gophers (14-14, 3-12 Big 10), who are currently on an eight-game skid, look to get back in the win column when they visit Kohl Center to challenge the Wisconsin Badgers (12-16, 5-10 Big 10). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 140.5 points with Wisconsin set as a 6.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Monday, February 19, 2018.
Minnesota Golden Gophers at Wisconsin Badgers Odds Preview
The Golden Gophers got blown out by the No. 2 Michigan State Spartans in their last game, 87-57. Minnesota’s Jordan Murphy finished with 16 points and seven rebounds in the game. Michigan State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.4 (above their season average of 36.1). Minnesota, meanwhile, forced the Spartans into a turnover percentage of 17.5 (above the 14.0 mark opponents have averaged against Minnesota this season).
In the Badgers last game, they topped the No. 6 Purdue Boilermakers, 57-53. Wisconsin was lifted by Ethan Happ, who was the teams high scorer with 21 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Wisconsin played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.1 (better than their season average of 15.6) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.2 (below their season average of 28.9). For those same stats, Purdue put up marks of 19.0 and 12.1, respectively.
Points at the line could be hard to come by for Wisconsin in this meeting. The Badgers rank 217th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.229, while Minnesota ranks 40th in FTA rate allowed (0.191). ,
Of Minnesota’s 27 games that accepted bets, 14 have finished over the O/U total, while 14 of Wisconsin’s 27 games have finished under the O/U total. The Golden Gophers have the better straight up (SU) record (14-14 vs. 12-16), but the Badgers have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (11-16 vs. 10-17).
Isaiah Washington has really been playing well over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 13.6 points and 4.0 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Badgers won both matchups played against each other last season. In the last game, Wisconsin won 66-49. The Badgers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.526 and a turnover percentage of 13.5. For those same stats, the Golden Gophers were 0.348 and 15.9, respectively.
Minnesota Golden Gophers at Wisconsin Badgers ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Wisconsin, ATS Winner – Wisconsin, O/U – Under
- The Golden Gophers average 5.6 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the nation. The Badgers rank 133rd in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Minnesota ranks 50th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Wisconsin ranks 65th (5.6).
- Minnesota is 5-7 ATS on the road, while Wisconsin is 7-8 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Golden Gophers 12 road games, while 9 of the Badgers 15 home games have gone over.
- Minnesota ranks 33rd in rebounds per game (39.0) while Wisconsin ranks 279th (31.1).
- The Badgers rank 48th in assists allowed per game (11.7) while the Golden Gophers rank 242nd (15.9).
- Wisconsin ranks sixth in three pointers allowed per game (16.0) while Minnesota ranks 172nd (22.6).
- Wisconsin is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Badgers have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Wisconsin has defeated opponents by an average of 0.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Gophers have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (6.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 85.6 points per game (10.7 above their season average).