A 12-game home winning streak is on the line for the second-ranked Michigan Wolverines (17-1, 6-1 Big 10) when they clash with the Minnesota Golden Gophers (14-4, 4-3 Big 10) at Crisler Center. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
Minnesota Golden Gophers at Michigan Wolverines ATS Odds
In their last outing, the Wolverines fell to the Wisconsin Badgers, 64-54, while the Golden Gophers barely escaped the Penn State Nittany Lions, 65-64.
The Golden Gophers made 22 of their 30 free throws (73.3 percent) and had a better offensive rebounding percentage (30.3 vs. 27.3). Michigan, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (26.5 vs. 21.9). Zavier Simpson played well for Michigan with 11 points, 10 rebounds and six assists. Meanwhile, Jordan Murphy had a good game for Minnesota, contributing 19 points, 21 rebounds and six assists.
The Wolverines won the lone contest between these two teams last year, 76-73. Michigan won the rebounding battle. The Wolverines had more offensive rebounds (11 vs. five), defensive rebounds (32 vs. 31) and total rebounds (43 vs. 36). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Michigan could dominate on defense as they go head-to-head against one of the worst offenses in the NCAA. The Wolverines rank 10th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.444), while Minnesota is 276th in effective field goal percentage (0.487). Also, the Golden Gophers, who rank 31st in offensive rebounding percentage (35.0 percent), will face a tough challenge against the Wolverines, who rank 13th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.0 percent).
Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Michigan Wolverines Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Minnesota, O/U – Under
- Michigan ranks 40th in blocks per game (4.4) while Minnesota ranks 148th in blocks allowed per game (4.5).
- The Wolverines rank 47th in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while the Golden Gophers rank 97th (33.9).
- Michigan ranks 13th in assists allowed per game (10.1) while Minnesota ranks 48th (11.3).
- The Wolverines rank 178th in three pointers attempted per game (21.4) while the Golden Gophers rank 281st (17.3).
- Michigan ranks first in steals allowed per game (3.5) while Minnesota ranks 70th (5.8).
- The Wolverines’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, down from 15.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Gophers have scored an average of 69.4 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (3.0 above their season average).