It will be a contest between two great offenses when the 19th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes (16-3, 5-3 Big 10) square off against the sixth-ranked Michigan State Spartans (17-2, 8-0 Big 10) at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 24, 2019.
Michigan State Spartans vs. Iowa Hawkeyes Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Hawkeyes dismantled the Illinois Fighting Illini 95-71, while the Spartans were victorious over the 13th-ranked Maryland Terrapins 69-55.
Michigan State dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.115 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 12.0 (better than their season average of 16.0). For those same stats, Maryland recorded marks of 0.066 and 15.8, respectively. The Hawkeyes, meanwhile, made 12 of their 16 free throws (75.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.830 (above their season average of 0.542). Iowa received a boost from Joe Wieskamp, who had 24 points and five rebounds. Kenny Goins had a solid performance for Michigan State, recording 14 points and 12 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Goins led the Spartans to a 90-68 victory. He notched a double-double with 19 points and 14 rebounds. Michigan State’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Iowa. The Spartans had a rate of 0.542 while the Hawkeyes posted a mark of 0.375.
This battle pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Iowa currently ranks 12th in offensive efficiency and Michigan State ranks 31st in defensive efficiency.
Michigan State Spartans at Iowa Hawkeyes ATS Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Iowa, ATS Winner – Iowa, O/U – Under
- Michigan State ranks first in assists per game (20.6) while Iowa ranks 219th in assists allowed per game (15.4).
- The Spartans rank eighth in blocks per game (5.7) while the Hawkeyes rank 72nd (3.8).
- Iowa averages 6.5 steals per game, which ranks 103rd in the nation. Michigan State ranks 105th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- The Spartans rank third in rebounds per game (43.5) while the Hawkeyes rank 102nd (36.6).
- Michigan State averages 22.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 149th in the country. Iowa ranks 228th in three pointers allowed per game (25.0).
- During their last five games, the Hawkeyes have scored an average of 84.4 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.4 points per game (0.2 above their season average).
- The Spartans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.4, down from 17.8 for the season.