MAC foes will clash when the Akron Zips (12-15, 5-10 MAC) meet the Miami (OH) RedHawks (14-14, 7-8 MAC) at James A. Rhodes Arena. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Miami (OH) RedHawks vs. Akron Zips Betting Preview
In the RedHawks last contest, they edged the Buffalo Bulls, 84-81. Nike Sibande was Miami (OH)’s leading scorer with 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting. The RedHawks forced 17 turnovers, while the Bulls had a free throw rate of 0.175 (below their season average of 0.207).
The Zips come in on a high note after narrowly defeating the Bowling Green Falcons in their last contest, 81-79. Akron received a boost from Daniel Utomi, who was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Akron dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.216) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.594 (above their season average of 0.517). Bowling Green had marks of 0.271 and 0.534, respectively, for those same stats.
The offense of Akron (214th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 104.5) will face off against the elite defense of Miami (OH) (95th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 100.7). The RedHawks figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
These teams have already met once this season. The RedHawks won 79-64. The RedHawks dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 8.4 and a free throw rate of 0.224. For those same stats, the Zips were 13.6 and 0.153, respectively. Darrian Ringo put up a double-double in the victory with 12 points and 11 assists.
Miami (OH) RedHawks vs. Akron Zips Odds Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
- The RedHawks rank 130th in assists per game (13.9) while the Zips rank 149th in assists allowed per game (13.6).
- Miami (OH) ranks 87th in rebounds per game (36.9) while Akron ranks 230th (33.6).
- The RedHawks rank 36th in steals per game (7.6) while the Zips rank 169th (5.7).
- Miami (OH) ranks 45th in three pointers attempted per game (25.5) while Akron ranks 158th in three pointers allowed per game (22.3).
- The Zips average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the RedHawks have scored an average of 71.8 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (4.6 above their season average).