The Notre Dame Fighting Irish (16-11, 6-8 ACC) welcome the Miami Hurricanes (18-8, 7-7 ACC) in a matchup that pits outstanding offense against exceptional defense. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 137 points with Notre Dame opening as a 4-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 19, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Miami Hurricanes vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Free Preview
The Hurricanes were beaten by the Syracuse Orange in their last contest, 62-55. With 14 points on 4-for-16 shooting, Chris Lykes led Miami in scoring. Syracuse had an effective field goal percentage of 0.529 (above their season average of 0.477). Miami, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 15.0).
In the Fighting Irish’s last game, they topped the Boston College Eagles, 84-67. Notre Dame was lifted by Matt Farrell, who was the top scorer from either team with 37 points on 12-for-17 shooting. Notre Dame’s 0.776 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Boston College, who had a mark of 0.509. The Fighting Irish’s mark was above their season average of 0.521.
The game should be a matchup of strength against strength as the prolific offense of Notre Dame takes on the top-notch defense of Miami. The Fighting Irish rank 33rd in offensive efficiency, while the Hurricanes are 27th in defensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Hurricanes, who rank 303rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.200), could have a tough time getting to the line against the Fighting Irish, who rank second in opponents FTA rate (0.156).
Of Miami’s 21 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished under the O/U total, while 12 of Notre Dame’s 22 games have finished over the projected point total. The Hurricanes have the superior straight up (SU) record (18-8 vs. 16-11), but the Fighting Irish hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (10-12 vs. 8-12-1).
Farrell has been on fire over the last five games for Notre Dame, averaging 15.6 points and 5.8 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Fighting Irish won the lone game played against each other last season, 67-62. The Fighting Irish’s 7.6 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Hurricanes, who had a mark of 15.8.
Miami Hurricanes vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Free Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Notre Dame, ATS Winner – Notre Dame, O/U – Over
- Notre Dame is 4-5 ATS at home, while Miami is 7-6-1 ATS on the road.
- The Hurricanes have 8 unders and 6 overs in 14 road games.
- The Fighting Irish have 7 overs and 2 unders in 9 home games.
- Miami averages 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 57th in the NCAA. Notre Dame ranks 139th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- The Fighting Irish rank 33rd in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Hurricanes rank 69th (5.7).
- Notre Dame is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Miami is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Fighting Irish’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 7.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hurricanes have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (3.7 above their season average).