The Phoenix Suns (4-6) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they challenge the Miami Heat (4-5). Miami opened as a 5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 213 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 8, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Sun.
Miami Heat at Phoenix Suns Odds Preview
The Heat won a close one over the Los Angeles Clippers in their last matchup, 104-101. Hassan Whiteside was Miami’s high scorer with 21 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Miami’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Los Angeles. The Heat had a rate of 0.524 (below their season average of 0.526), while the Clippers posted a mark of 0.443 (below their season average of 0.516).
The last time the Suns played, they were beaten by the San Antonio Spurs, 112-95. With seven points and 14 rebounds, Tyson Chandler played well for Phoenix. San Antonio had a turnover percentage of 8.6 (better than their season average of 12.9). Phoenix, meanwhile, held the Spurs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.0 (below their season average of 26.6).
The physical Phoenix offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Suns rank second in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.233, while Miami ranks 25th in FTA rate allowed (0.221) dating back to last season.
Of Miami’s 10 games, five have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of Phoenix’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. The Heat hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (4-5 vs. 4-6), but the Suns have been better against the spread (ATS) (5-6 vs. 2-6-2).
Each team won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Heat won the most recent game 112-97. The Heat played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.7 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.4. The Suns were 20.2 and 23.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Miami Heat at Phoenix Suns ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Suns rank 12th in second chance points per game (14.7) while the Heat rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.3).
- Miami ranks 19th in assists per game (21.3) while Phoenix ranks 29th (19.5).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in rebounds per game (45.2) while Miami ranks 21st (43.5).
- Miami averages 7.3 steals per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 17th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Miami is 25-16 when they allow under 100 points, while Phoenix is 9-3.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Suns are 24-46 and the Heat are 39-16.
- The Heat average 45.5 points in the paint per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Suns rank 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.6).
- Miami ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (9.9) while Phoenix ranks 28th (16.0).
- The Heat rank eighth in points off turnovers per game (16.1) while the Suns rank 25th (17.4).
- The Heat rank sixth in blocks per game (5.7) while the Suns rank 15th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Miami ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (27.5) while Phoenix ranks 21st (22.9).