The Wofford Terriers (20-10, 11-6 SoCon) and Mercer Bears (17-13, 10-7 SoCon) will square off at Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium to finish out the regular season. Wofford opened as a 2-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 25, 2018.
Mercer Bears vs. Wofford Terriers ATS Preview
The last time the Bears played, they defeated the Citadel Bulldogs, 83-70. With 17 points and nine assists, Mercer’s Jordan Strawberry put together a good performance. Mercer dominated every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.288 (above their season average of 0.281) and a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 16.3). For those same stats, Citadel recorded marks of 0.200 and 15.2, respectively.
The Terriers come in on a high note after beating the East Tennessee State Buccaneers in their last matchup, 75-71. Wofford rallied around Cameron Jackson, who led the team in scoring with 18 points on 9-for-15 shooting. The Terriers held the Buccaneers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.5 (below their season average of 32.6) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.646 (above their season average of 0.565).
This matchup figures to be a shootout as two of the nations premier offenses clash. Wofford ranks 50th with 112.8 points per 100 possessions and Mercer is 23rd (115.6).
Of Mercer’s 25 games with betting action, 14 have finished over the projected point total, while 11 of Wofford’s 24 games have finished over the projected point total. The Terriers have the better straight up (SU) record (20-10 vs. 17-13), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Wofford is 11-12-1, while Mercer is 11-11-3 ATS.
Ross Cummings has been solid over the last five games for Mercer, averaging 18.4 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 138 points, just under the projected point total of 139.5. The Bears won 73-65, covering as 4-point favorites. The Bears turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Terriers. Mercer had a rate of 7.3, while Wofford posted a mark of 14.7. Cummings had a stellar game, with 22 points and five rebounds.
Mercer Bears vs. Wofford Terriers Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Mercer, ATS Winner – Mercer, O/U – Over
- The Terriers rank 32nd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Bears rank 109th (3.4).
- Mercer is 6-7-3 ATS on the road, while Wofford is 4-6-1 ATS at home.
- Of the Bears 16 road games, they have 9 overs and 7 unders.
- The Terriers have 6 overs and 5 unders in 11 home games.
- Wofford averages 25.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 50th in the nation. Mercer ranks 273rd in three pointers allowed per game (26.2).
- The Terriers average 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 68th in the NCAA. The Bears rank 208th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- Mercer ranks 177th in rebounds per game (34.7) while Wofford ranks 255th (32.8).
- Wofford is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Mercer is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Terriers have been outscored by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. On the season, Wofford has defeated opponents by an average of 5.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 79.4 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (1.8 below their season average).