AAC foes will collide when the Connecticut Huskies (13-15, 6-9 AAC) go head-to-head against the Memphis Tigers (17-11, 8-7 AAC) at Harry A. Gampel Pavilion. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 136.5 points with Connecticut opening as a 2-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 25, 2018.
Memphis Tigers vs. Connecticut Huskies Betting Preview
The last time the Tigers played, they defeated the No. 23 Houston Cougars, 91-85. With 21 points and nine rebounds, Jimario Rivers played well for Memphis. The Tigers knocked down 29 of their 36 free throws (80.6 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.646 (above their season average of 0.496).
The Huskies are trying to rebound after their 77-52 loss to the No. 11 Cincinnati Bearcats in their last matchup. Christian Vital was Connecticut’s leading scorer with 15 points on 6-for-18 shooting. Cincinnati’s 7.9 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Connecticut, who had a rate of 16.3. The Bearcats mark was better than their season average of 15.0.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Connecticut currently ranks 285th in possessions per game (67.2) and Memphis is 307th (66.6). Furthermore, the Tigers, who rank 13th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.9 percent), will face off against the Huskies, who rank 293rd in defensive rebounding percentage (68.3 percent).
Of Memphis 25 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished over the projected point total, while 13 of Connecticut’s 24 games have finished over the projected point total. The Tigers come into this game with a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 17-11 SU and 11-13-1 ATS, while the Huskies are 13-15 SU and 8-17 ATS.
Vital has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Connecticut, averaging 18.2 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 122 points, which was under the projected point total of 135. The Tigers won 73-49, covering as 3-point favorites. The Tigers played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.545. For those same stats, the Huskies put up marks of 27.3 and 0.413, respectively. Jeremiah Martin put up a double-double in the victory with 21 points and 11 rebounds.
Memphis Tigers at Connecticut Huskies ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Memphis, ATS Winner – Memphis, O/U – Over
- The Huskies rank 202nd in three pointers attempted per game (20.4) while the Tigers rank 254th (18.6).
- Memphis ranks 178th in rebounds per game (34.7) while Connecticut ranks 221st in rebounds allowed per game (36.8).
- On the road, Memphis is 5-6 ATS with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- At home, Connecticut is 4-7 ATS with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- Connecticut ranks 26th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Memphis ranks 203rd (7.3).
- The Tigers rank 175th in assists per game (13.0) while the Huskies rank 277th (10.2).
- Connecticut ranks 88th in blocks per game (3.8) while Memphis ranks 148th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Connecticut is 0-5 ATS with 4 overs and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Huskies average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 5.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 71.6 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (2.7 above their season average).