The NCAA’s top shooting defense will be on the road at Moody Coliseum, when the Memphis Tigers (19-8, 8-6 AAC) go head-to-head against the SMU Mustangs (18-8, 8-6 AAC). Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 25, 2020, and can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Memphis Tigers at SMU Mustangs ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Mustangs were blown out by the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, 79-57, while the Tigers won a close one over the 22nd-ranked Houston Cougars, 60-59.
The Tigers had an absurd free throw rate of 0.389 (above their season average of 0.266) and had a turnover percentage of 10.6 (better than their season average of 19.8). SMU, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (29.4 vs. 29.6). Tyson Jolly played well for SMU with 18 points and five rebounds. Precious Achiuwa had a good game for Memphis, recording 10 points and six rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Kendric Davis led the Mustangs to a 74-70 win. He was the game’s leading scorer with 20 points. SMU had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (36.4 vs. 21.4). Memphis, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (15.8 vs. 17.0).
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of SMU takes on the stingy defense of Memphis. The Mustangs rank 24th in offensive efficiency, while the Tigers are eighth in defensive efficiency. It will also be a showdown of conflicting styles as the fast-paced Tigers rank 35th in possessions per game, while the more methodical Mustangs rank 268th.
Memphis Tigers vs. SMU Mustangs ATS Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Smu, ATS Winner – SMU, O/U – Under
- SMU ranks 36th in rebounds allowed per game (31.7) while Memphis ranks 201st (36.3).
- The Tigers rank 81st in assists per game (14.0) while the Mustangs rank 228th in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- Memphis ranks fourth in blocks per game (6.1) while SMU ranks 126th (3.1).
- The Mustangs rank 68th in three pointers attempted per game (24.7) while the Tigers rank 227th (19.6).
- Memphis averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 30th in the nation. SMU ranks 177th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 71.4 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (7.3 above their season average).
- The Mustangs have been outscored by an average of 6.4 points in their last five games. For the season, SMU has defeated opponents by an average of 5.3 points.