The Memphis Grizzlies (18-44), who are currently on a 13-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they square off with the San Antonio Spurs (36-27) at AT&T Center. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, March 5, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies at San Antonio Spurs Betting Preview
The Grizzlies fell to the Orlando Magic in their last contest, 107-100. Memphis JaMychal Green contributed 10 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists in the contest. Orlando did a great job of getting and making free throws (27-33; 81.8 percent). Memphis, meanwhile, held the Magic to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.2 (below their season average of 20.3).
In the Spurs last game, they were beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers, 116-112. Pau Gasol was San Antonio’s high scorer with 19 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Los Angeles did a great job of making free throws (21-27; 77.8 percent). San Antonio, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (25.0 vs. 20.8).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the leagues slowest-paced teams battle. San Antonio currently ranks 29th in possessions per game (96.7) and Memphis is 30th (96.5). Furthermore, the 27th-ranked offense of the Grizzlies (offensive efficiency of 102.5) will square off against the second-ranked defense of the Spurs (defensive efficiency of 102.9).
Of Memphis 62 games, 35 have finished under the O/U total, while 32 of San Antonio’s 63 games have finished under the projected point total. The Spurs hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 36-27 SU and 31-28-4 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 18-44 SU and 26-33-3 ATS.
Dejounte Murray has been playing at a high level over the last five games for San Antonio, averaging 13.4 points, 6.4 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.6 blocks per game.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Spurs winning all three. In the most recent matchup, Gasol recorded 14 points, 15 rebounds and nine assists and the Spurs beat the Grizzlies 108-85, covering as 1-point favorites. The two teams combined for 193 points, which was just 1 points above the projected point total of 192 points. The Spurs dominated every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.268 and a turnover percentage of 12.3. For those same stats, the Grizzlies were 0.133 and 16.0, respectively.
Memphis Grizzlies at San Antonio Spurs ATS Prediction
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.4) while the Spurs rank 11th (43.1).
- San Antonio ranks 16th in fast break points allowed per game (11.8) while Memphis ranks 25th (13.8).
- Memphis is 12-15-2 ATS on the road with 15 overs, 13 unders and 1 push.
- San Antonio is 17-12-1 ATS at home with 17 overs and 13 unders.
- San Antonio is 24-10 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Memphis is 11-10.
- When reaching the century mark, the Spurs are 29-9 and the Grizzlies are 13-17.
- The Grizzlies rank 24th in three pointers attempted per game (26.3) while the Spurs rank 27th (24.5).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks allowed per game (3.6) while Memphis ranks 25th (5.3).
- The Spurs rank eighth in rebounds per game (44.4) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (40.7).
- San Antonio ranks 13th in assists per game (22.9) while Memphis ranks 26th (21.3).
- San Antonio is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spurs have been outscored by an average of 0.8 points in their last five games. For the season, San Antonio has defeated opponents by an average of 3.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 98.2 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (6.2 above their season average).