The Portland Trail Blazers (6-4) will have their hands full against the league’s top shooting defense when they square off against the Memphis Grizzlies (6-4) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 204 points with Portland opening as a 4-point favorite. Action starts at at 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 7, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Preview
The Grizzlies were beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers, 107-102, in their last outing. Memphis’ Marc Gasol had 15 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists in the contest. Los Angeles did an excellent job of making free throws (18-23; 78.3 percent). Memphis, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (11.4 vs. 14.4).
The Trail Blazers hope to keep it rolling after beating the Oklahoma City Thunder, 103-99, in their last outing. Portland was lifted by Damian Lillard, who was the top scorer from either team with 36 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Portland played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.297 (above their season average of 0.245) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.2 (below their season average of 27.1). Oklahoma City was 0.090 and 14.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this battle between a pair of the league’s premier defenses. Portland currently ranks third in defensive efficiency (100.1) and Memphis is fourth (100.4). The Grizzlies should have an edge in terms of ball security. They rank 2nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.7 percent), while the Trail Blazers force the fourth-fewest turnovers in the league (opponents’ turnover percentage of 13.3 percent).
Memphis games have finished under 60.0 percent of the time, while games featuring Portland have gone under 60.0 percent of the time. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (6-4 for Memphis; 6-4 for Portland), but the Grizzlies have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Memphis is 5-5 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 4-5-1.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Grizzlies, it’s been Tyreke Evans, who has averaged 20.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists, while the Trail Blazers have gotten solid contributions from Lillard (30.2 points, 6.0 assists and 5.4 rebounds).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Trail Blazers won two out of three meetings last season. In the last game, the Trail Blazers won 100-94. Portland’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Memphis. The Trail Blazers had a rate of 0.549, while the Grizzlies posted a mark of 0.420.
Memphis Grizzlies at Portland Trail Blazers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank 10th in second chance points per game (13.8) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (8.1).
- Memphis ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (10.6) while Portland ranks sixth (15.1).
- Portland ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.1) while Memphis ranks 17th (29.8).
- Memphis is 2-2 ATS on the road, while Portland is 2-4 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 4 of the Trail Blazers’ 6 home games, while 2 of the Grizzlies’ 4 road games have gone over.
- Memphis is 4-0 when they allow below 100 points, while Portland is 4-1.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Grizzlies are 4-1 and the Trail Blazers are 6-3.
- The Grizzlies rank first in steals allowed per game (6.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 14th (7.9).
- Memphis ranks seventh in fast break points per game (14.2) while Portland ranks last (4.8).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in rebounds per game (48.6) while the Grizzlies rank 24th (40.4).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in assists allowed per game (16.2) while the Grizzlies rank fourth (20.1).
- Portland averages 6.3 blocks per game, which ranks third in the league. Memphis ranks 20th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- Portland is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 6.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 103.2 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 101.0 points per game (2.9 above their season average).