The Memphis Grizzlies (18-40) and the Boston Celtics (42-19) face off at TD Garden. The Grizzlies will attempt to snap their nine-game losing streak. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 26, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Boston Celtics Free Preview
The Grizzlies got blown out by the Miami Heat in their last contest, 115-89. With 17 points on 7-for-13 shooting, Andrew Harrison was Memphis’ high scorer. Miami’s turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Memphis. The Heat had a rate of 9.0 (better than their season average of 13.3), while the Grizzlies posted a mark of 17.8 (above their season average of 13.5).
In the Celtics’ last matchup, they beat the New York Knicks, 121-112. Boston rallied around Kyrie Irving, who was the game’s high scorer with 31 points on 11-for-22 shooting. Boston played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.261 (above their season average of 0.184) and a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 12.3). New York was 0.167 and 11.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Boston ranks 22nd in possessions per game (98.1) and Memphis is 30th (96.2). Moreover, the Grizzlies rank 27th in offensive efficiency (102.7), while the Celtics rank first in defensive efficiency (101.6).
Of Memphis’ 58 games, 32 have finished under the O/U total, while 30 of Boston’s 61 games have finished over the O/U total. The Celtics come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 42-19 SU and 35-23-3 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 18-40 SU and 24-32-2 ATS.
Terry Rozier has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 13.4 points and 4.6 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 195 points, just under the projected point total of 195.5. The Celtics won 102-93, covering as 6-point favorites. The Celtics’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Grizzlies. Boston had a rate of 33.3, while Memphis posted a mark of 26.3. Marc Gasol finished with 30 points and 10 rebounds.
Memphis Grizzlies at Boston Celtics Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Grizzlies rank 15th (7.7).
- Boston ranks 21st in assists per game (22.1) while Memphis ranks 28th (21.0).
- Memphis ranks 16th in points off turnovers per game (16.4) while Boston ranks 27th (14.6).
- Memphis is 11-15-1 ATS on the road with 14 overs, 12 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Boston is 15-14-3 ATS with 16 overs and 16 unders.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Memphis is 11-10 and Boston is 27-3.
- The Grizzlies are 13-14 when they reach the century mark, while the Celtics are 31-8.
- The Grizzlies rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.0) while the Celtics rank ninth (42.8).
- Boston ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.8) while Memphis ranks 27th (14.1).
- The Celtics rank sixth in blocks allowed per game (4.4) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (5.3).
- The Celtics rank fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.7) while the Grizzlies rank ninth (27.9).
- Boston ranks 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while Memphis ranks 28th (40.5).
- Boston is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Memphis is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics have been outscored by an average of 3.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Boston has defeated opponents by an average of 3.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 94.4 points per game (4.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.0 points per game (6.7 above their season average).